RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:36 PM   #1

New Toad Wiring 2019 GMC Canyon

Picking up our new 19 GMC Canyon tomorrow. Looking for recommendations on wiring the lights. Figured some here are using this model toad and can make an informed recommendation on best kit for my application(4x4 crew cab model with auto trans).
Thanks, GrAndy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2019, 12:30 AM   #2

I've wired three SUVs. Two Expeditions and one Jeep.
If I were going to do it again, I would buy two new light sockets and install them in the rear light assembly. I think you can drill a new hole the size of the new light socket.

Before, I've installed a diode kit that prevents back-feeding the 12V power from the RV into the car. While this is effective, it's more work. You have to cut the wires and splice them to the wiring from the RV and install a diode for each signal. So, by installing a new light/socket, you don't need a diode kit. I haven't had any problems doing the diode kit but I'm always concerned that my splice could come loose.

Also, when you run the wiring from the front to the rear, I like to fish the wire through the tube frame. It takes a little more time but the wire will be well protected.

So, are you installing the base plate too?

tucson.don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #3

I bought a kit from etrailer and a set of diodes to use existing taillights on our 2019 Colorado, works great. You will also need a battery disconnect switch. If using a tow brake that needs power i suggest you get a 7 pin power supply adapter from them too to supply a dedicated 12 V plug to your brake. With your diesel I suggest you go with the Roadmaster base plate as it's much lower than the Blue Ox which works exceptionally well for my gas coach which has the hitch much higher up. Give etrailer a call and they will set you up with everything you need, very helpful.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #4

My Terrain is wired like one would wire a utility trailer. No issues at all over 11,000 miles of towing. Added an extra bulb in each taillight assembly and ran wires.
Dennis and Irene and Mizzie (The Incredible) living as Full Time RV Mutants #176
"Duchess" a 40 foot Newmar Dutch Star 4095 + "Duke" a GMC Terrain Towed
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #5

I used the diode kit and then found out later there is a plug and play kit that simply plugs into the existing wiring harness. No cutting, splicing, etc.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:35 AM   #6

I bought this

https://www.etrailer.com/tbwiring-20...t_Colorado.htm
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:46 AM   #7

https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact...78161195&psc=1
Old 12-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #8

New Toad Wiring 2019 GMC Canyon

I tow a 2018 Colorado. I used separate bulbs in the tail light fixture and ran the wires forward through the frame rail on the passenger side. There is plenty of room in the tail light fixture to add the additional bulb. I use a Roadmaster Invisibrake system mounted under the passenger seat and installed the Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate connections which replace the tow hooks. As mentioned bone, this is the better choice when towing with a Diesel MH with a lower mounted hitch point. I also installed the Roadmaster Battery Disconnect solenoid to allow disconnecting the battery with the push of a button. I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have in setting up your Canyon.
Mikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I like that maybe with the exception of the flat plug.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
What's wrong with the flat plug? That's all you need. Use and adapter if needed to connect to a round 6 or 7 wire connector.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post

I ran the flat wire to the front and didn’t use the ground wire or the four pin flat plug. I grounded the six pin plug I used directly to the truck. I also used the RVI3 battery charge controller. I have several threads on my Colorado setup in this forum.

Tags
toad, wiring