Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
New Tow Bar...how to work it???

Hey All...

I just had a Blue Ox Tow Bar attached to my Honda CRV and tomorrow I will have a friend take me to a parking lot and get me used to using this. Can any of you give me some tips to using this???? I have a 2008 CRV. My friend that instaled the tow bar says that there are so many conflicting ways to use it. Do I put it into neutral...park... or a combination of the two???

Do I need to run my transmissiom for a while to prevent damage???

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Trying to get to a warmer climate to recover from deaths in the family and really having a tough time getting it all in line..... Any help would be appreciated....

Faith amd just the one little pup...the other one passed two weeks ago in my arms.... Very Sad....

fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Honda CRV

Your post and your question are different. Tow bar vs. tow vehicle.

On the CRV, run it through the gears for about 1 minute each, ending in Neutral. Leave in Neutral and release hand brake.

You are good to tow for 300 miles, or 8 hours, whichever comes first. If you stop for gas and do not shut off the engine, you do nothing but continue. If you are stopping and do turn off the engine, you will need to go through the initial set up again. Idle through the gears from Low, ending at Neutral, release hand brake and go!

You did not mention it, but do you have an auxiliary braking system in the CRV? If not, get one! You do not want to be in a situation where you need to stop short and have 3400 lbs pushing you! if you are in an accident, and do not have a braking system, you will be cited by Police in most states.

If you read that booklet that came with your CRV, all this pre-setup info there!

Happy Trails!

Darryl

Old 03-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Its all in your Honda owners manual, just run it through all the gears,the last shift is from Drive to Neutral.
Turn ignition OFF to ACC to unlock the wheels.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by desobelman View Post
On the CRV, run it through the gears for about 1 minute each, ending in Neutral. Leave in Neutral and release hand brake.

You are good to tow for 300 miles, or 8 hours, whichever comes first. If you stop for gas and do not shut off the engine, you do nothing but continue. If you are stopping and do turn off the engine, you will need to go through the initial set up again. Idle through the gears from Low, ending at Neutral, release hand brake and go!...
I think this sounds a little confusing at the end. It sounds like you are saying if you shut of the MH engine that you have to run the CRV through the paces again. I'm not sure that is what you meant but it doesn't sound right.

I don't have my manual in front of me but I also think you must go into neutral from the drive gear. Going into neutral from reverse might cause a problem.

From another post...The 2010 manual says the following; "START THE ENGINE", "PRESS THE BREAK PEDAL. MOVE THE SHIFT LEVER THROUGH ALL OF ITS POSITIONS", "SHIFT TO D POSITION AND AND HOLD FOR 5 SECONDS, THEN TO N. LET THE ENGINE RUN FOR 3 MINUTES, THEN TURN IT OFF."
Old 03-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I think this sounds a little confusing at the end. It sounds like you are saying if you shut of the MH engine that you have to run the CRV through the paces again. I'm not sure that is what you meant but it doesn't sound right.

I don't have my manual in front of me but I also think you must go into neutral from the drive gear. Going into neutral from reverse might cause a problem.

From another post...The 2010 manual says the following; "START THE ENGINE", "PRESS THE BREAK PEDAL. MOVE THE SHIFT LEVER THROUGH ALL OF ITS POSITIONS", "SHIFT TO D POSITION AND AND HOLD FOR 5 SECONDS, THEN TO N. LET THE ENGINE RUN FOR 3 MINUTES, THEN TURN IT OFF."
That is right. I hook mine up and drive all day. I start the toad in the morning and go through the gear procedure and drive all day again. Never had any problems. For sure use a braking system as suggested, I use the brake buddy. Make sure you lock the doors with a second key or key fob to prevent theft. Do unlock the steering before towing.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyd View Post
Its all in your Honda owners manual, just run it through all the gears,the last shift is from Drive to Neutral.
Turn ignition OFF to ACC to unlock the wheels.
Siggy
It is not confusing! As stated, read and do exactly what the CRV owners manual says to do. We can connect to the motorhome, run thru the crv instructions and brake buddy setup in under 10 minutes.

Remember max towing speed is 65 mph.
Also make sure the parking brake is off. :-)
Old 03-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #7

And we haven't even talked about lights on the Toad yet
Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
For sure, follow the instructions in the owners manual. I hook up just the physical connection first, put the car in reverse and back up to extend the tow bars and lock, then put the automatic tranny in first, second, drive, neutral. Leave engine running, go outside and hook up chains and wire for lights and signals. After finishing outside, then back inside to turn off car. Hope this helps.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote