Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
New towbar needed

I need to buy new tow bar and base plate for my Honda CRV. Which type is the best, and why, in your opinion?
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IMHO:

ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with integral braking system. Best bang for the buck. Well made, strong. Relatively light weight. Straight forward installation. Brake works well.

As for the baseplate, Blue Ox is very popular and make good products. If when you sell the toad, a larger number if prospective buyers will have mating Blue Ox product.

Order the ReadyBrute towbar with accommodation for Blue Ox base plate.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Def blue ox for the base plate, had it on the crv for over 2 years, no problems and use patriot b asking system

Connie, Tony and Rusty - on the road in 'Arvey
Old 12-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
*braking system

Old 12-02-2016, 07:55 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What year is the CR-V?
What kind of MH do you have? Air brakes or no?
Old 12-03-2016, 03:57 AM   #6

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
What year is the CR-V?

My CR-V is a 2013. MH is 2014 Thor Challenger, gasser. No air breaks.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:59 AM   #7

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
IMHO:

ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with integral braking system. Best bang for the buck. Well made, strong. Relatively light weight. Straight forward installation. Brake works well.

As for the baseplate, Blue Ox is very popular and make good products. If when you sell the toad, a larger number if prospective buyers will have mating Blue Ox product.

Order the ReadyBrute towbar with accommodation for Blue Ox base plate.

I'll look it up. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:08 AM   #8

Carolina Campers
New towbar needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieTony View Post
Def blue ox for the base plate, had it on the crv for over 2 years, no problems and use patriot b asking system

Thanks.

I was looking at the Blue Ox Class IV Aventa™ LX tow bar, which has a ball-in-socket design that reduces wear points between the coach and the tow car. Hook up and disconnect is a cinch with the 360-degree swivel and easily connects and disconnects with Signature Series easy-release locking handles when you’re out of alignment or on uneven surfaces. The exclusive offset triple lug connection, minimizes the towing forces on the tow car. 10,000lb safety cables are included.

The base plate for Blue Ox is Part Number: BX2258. The Blue Ox baseplates feature removable tabs that leave a clean look when the vehicle is not being towed.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:39 AM   #9

I have the Blue Ox Aventa Tow Bar with matching base plate on my 2014 Honda CR-V. It is a great system. Also have the Stay n Play Duo Braking system installed. I tow my Honda with a 2000 R-Vision Class A gasser and I can tell you from personal experience that you won't be disappointed with this setup. I just finished a 3,442 mile trip with my RV and Honda and I never had a single problem with towing. Best decision I made with regard to tow package and brake system. Great customer service from both companies.
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:38 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
What year is the CR-V?
The CR-V is 2014 and the MH is a 2014 Bounder gas. With the Patriot system and the blue ox setup we travelled west from Texas to San Diego, then up to Seattle, across SDAK to Nebraska and back to Texas through Kansas and Missouri. No problems just a great trip of over 4500 miles.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #11

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrich View Post
I have the Blue Ox Aventa Tow Bar with matching base plate on my 2014 Honda CR-V. It is a great system. Also have the Stay n Play Duo Braking system installed. I tow my Honda with a 2000 R-Vision Class A gasser and I can tell you from personal experience that you won't be disappointed with this setup. I just finished a 3,442 mile trip with my RV and Honda and I never had a single problem with towing. Best decision I made with regard to tow package and brake system. Great customer service from both companies.

Thanks! Good to hear those remarks.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #12

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieTony View Post
The CR-V is 2014 and the MH is a 2014 Bounder gas. With the Patriot system and the blue ox setup we travelled west from Texas to San Diego, then up to Seattle, across SDAK to Nebraska and back to Texas through Kansas and Missouri. No problems just a great trip of over 4500 miles.

Thank you for the reply.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:48 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2013 CRV. I also use Blue Ox base plate and Aventa tow bar. My MH has air brakes, and I use the SMI Air Force One. It is easy to hook and unhook and I have not had any problems. Based on this, if I were to get a MH without air brakes, I would go with the SMI Stay n Play. Be sure to engage parking brake before unhooking to prevent toad from rolling away ...... don't ask me how I know lol.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #14

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJAG View Post
I have a 2013 CRV. I also use Blue Ox base plate and Aventa tow bar. My MH has air brakes, and I use the SMI Air Force One. It is easy to hook and unhook and I have not had any problems. Based on this, if I were to get a MH without air brakes, I would go with the SMI Stay n Play. Be sure to engage parking brake before unhooking to prevent toad from rolling away ...... don't ask me how I know lol.

Thanks. I already have the Stay n Play. Unfortunately, I also understand the bit about the toad rolling away potential....

Tags
tow