Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Newbie and don't have a CLUE....

I am new to RV'ing and will probably look into pulling a toad in the future after I get a little more comfortable. Problem right now is that I have no clue what is involved and what is needed, or even what to look for in a vehicle being RV friendly. For example, does the toad accumulate mileage as well while being towed? Braking? Lighting? so fourth.. Is there a book or info somewhere to gather this info? Towing for Dummies or something.

Thanks for everyone's help.

roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #2

What kind of coach do you have?? Depending on your needs, look for a toad that is towable 4-wheels down, and a towbar. We couldn't do without our toad, as we park at a campground, and use the toad to get around to the sights in. As we have limited basement space, it also serves as a garage for our folding bikes, and the Dish antenna.
There a lot of resources available here on the forum about towing, best ideas from everyone, and a lot of do's and don'ts. One thing that I think that everyone towing will agree on, is just remember that when you hook up a 4-wheel toad, forget about backing up!!

Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have a Damon Tuscany 40' Diesel pusher.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Toad

I tow my 2008 Dodge 1500 4x4 toad 4 down. When the ignition switch is in the correct position, the steering wheel is unlocked and the odometer doesn't record mileage while under tow. I would strongly suggest the use of an auxiliary braking system and I'm partial to the M&G system for ease of connection, but there are other good ones. I've used the toad stowable tow bar in the past but prefer the coach mounted one after using both.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi roboniko,
The Towing Documents.doc contains the information you need to get going on making your decisions to tow. The file is about 15 pages of information. All the information is from past issues of FMCA magazines. Consider joining the FMCA. The file is a Microsoft Word document. If you can not open the file post here and we can figure out how to get the information to you.

The FMCA also has a towing guide from 1999 through 2009. I was not able to attach the 2009 file as if was larger than the maximum size allowed by iRV2.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks!! I greatly appreciate the help. You guys are awesome.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #7

Tow vehicles

As you can well imagine, there are many, many different vehicles compatible with towing. First decide what you need while on the road; how many seats, carrying capacity for groceries or anything else, and how much you are willing to spend. Second, how are you going to tow, a dolly or a tow bar? After you decide the first two your choices will narrow considerably. If you use a tow bar check to make SURE the owners manual states towing with 4 wheels down is acceptable, don't take a salesman's word, read the manual yourself!!! Most vehicles do not accumulate mileage when towing. Also, consider the weight of your tow. If you use a dolly add the weight of the dolly to the weight of the vehicle to get a total, DO NOT exceed the rated capacity of your coach, for a Tuscany it is 10,000 lbs. I have a Tuscany and tow a 4dr Jeep Wrangler which weighs about 4300 lbs loaded without any problems. Please, for your safety and that of others, use a supplemental braking system, not doing so is reckless and against the law. Once you have narrowed your choices come back to the forum and ask more questions, you will find the experience and knowledge here very valuable in making your final choices for a tow bar, dolly, wiring, and brakes. Good luck and Happy RVing!

soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote