Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Newbie needs help - Phaeton 40 KBA towing '12 Honda Odyssey.

Hello All:

I need help, please. We are new to the the RV world -three weeks in. We just purchased our Tiffin Phaeton 40' KBA and are headed to see Micky the morning after Santa makes his visit. I am lost as to what I need for my RV and car. Any direction would be most helpful.

Thank you and Merry Christmas,

Jefferey Garrett
Birmingham, AL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I suggest you call the dealer of the vehicle you want to tow and ask what they recommend in terms of towing that particular vehicle. Then call a "few" RV service centers and find out what options they offer, and what their recommendation it. Personally, I'd call about RV Centers around the Country and hope to get 3 our 5 saying the same thing, then go with that recommendation.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffereyng View Post
Hello All:

I need help, please. We are new to the the RV world -three weeks in. We just purchased our Tiffin Phaeton 40' KBA and are headed to see Micky the morning after Santa makes his visit. I am lost as to what I need for my RV and car. Any direction would be most helpful.

Thank you and Merry Christmas,

Jefferey Garrett
Birmingham, AL
You will first need to determine whether your toad can be towed 4-down, or if you will need a dolly or even a trailer. Your vehicle owner's manual should indicate whether it can be towed and how.

If it can be towed 4-down, you will need a baseplate for the vehicle, a tow bar for your motorhome, some sort of supplemental braking system, light hookups and a breakaway. (It's not as bad as it sounds.)

But as I said, first find out if the vehicle CAN be towed. Here is another resource for info. Store : Remco

Most towing setups can be easily installed by a local RV service center if you are not inclined to DIY.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #4

My experience is Honda automatics need a tow dolly. Search this site for extensive discussions about the different makes and models. You can be up and running within a few hours of purchasing your new dolly and on your way to see Micky. It does not require any braking system, lights on your toad or anything else but to put the car on the dolly and secure it. Make sure you have the dealer or original owner of the dolly show you how to secure your car safely and don't ever, ever try to back the dolly or take the dolly off the motor home with the car still on. Just my 2 cents.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #5

Honda CRVs and Honda Fit vehicles with Automatic can be towed in most cases. But check owners manual and Remco link to be sure. Many car salesmen have given inaccurate information on matter.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Honda does NOT approve of 4-down towing for the 2012 Odyssey and both the dealer and (I think) the owner manual will tell you so. Your transmission warranty will be void if you do so. People have successfully towed previous year Odysseys, despite Honda's position, but I have no knowledge of the 2012.

That leaves a dolly or a full trailer as they only Honda-approved method.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #7

You will need a tow dolly and a fairly wide one at that. With the weight of the Odyssey you will definitely need one with brakes.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Kay View Post
I suggest you call the dealer of the vehicle you want to tow and ask what they recommend in terms of towing that particular vehicle. Then call a "few" RV service centers and find out what options they offer, and what their recommendation it. Personally, I'd call about RV Centers around the Country and hope to get 3 our 5 saying the same thing, then go with that recommendation.
The only vehicles Honda allows (and warranties) to be towed four down are the FIT and CR-V since the 2005 model year.
We bought a '05 Ody to tow four down after getting it in writing from Honda America that it was towable four down. They ended up paying us for the towing gear we bought and we got a dolly to tow it on. I'm not sure anyone makes a dolly wide enough for the new Ody's, ours is a KK-460 and the tire sidewalls ride on the pan sides. No tire damage though.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin View Post
My experience is Honda automatics need a tow dolly. Search this site for extensive discussions about the different makes and models.
Not true.
Both the stick and automatic CR-V's and Fit's are towable four down. Even the AWD CR-V's are towable four down. Other models are not towable four down, either stick or auto.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, towing