Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
newbie needs info on brakebuddy

Hello, everyone,
I have found all the information here so helpful. But I haven't come across an answer to my question. I have just purchased a 2000 Fleetwood Bounder 39Z and am towing a 2001 Honda Accord, 4 wheels down. The previous owner told me I need to start Honda up every 300miles to run it through its gears for 15-30 seconds each. This involves sitting in passenger seat, holding an umbrella down on the brake (since I can't sit in driver's seat with brakebuddy in place) and doing the above. Is this necessary or over-zealousness on the part of the previous owner? He really did maintain both these vehicles in excellent condition so I'm tending toward doing what he said.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

marietta
marietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #2

You need a diffrent toad.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Consult the owners manual or check with Honda about you TOAD----my 04 Cr-V needs to be run through the gears at start up and every 8 hours, mileage is not mentioned, it also advises not to tow over 65 mph---I rarely find either of these restrictions a problem when traveling. I think once or twice I have stopped to run through the gears and found that removing the brakebuddy takes little time so not a big problem for me.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yep. Check your owner's manual... but I tend to agree with you that if the prior owner took good care of the rig he's right about this too. It's really a Honda question instead of a Brake Buddy issue.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
We stop enough along the way that a special stop to circulate the fluid in the transmission is not necessary. I generally start the little car and let it run a few minutes whenever we stop. Didn't used to do that but arriving with a dead battery in the tow car every now and then was a problem. It's not a problem now.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All I have towed are Honda's. This procedure does two things. For the Automatic trans it will stir up the oil. Then the second will keep the battery for starting the toad charged. I have also installed the following device to help with the battery issues: LSL Toad Charge Battery Charger
The Honda battery will discharge using a Breakbuddy system while towing, plus a small charge is lost powering the clock. Make sure all electrical things are turned off, including the cruse control. Before I started using the toad-charge I had twice lost all power in my toad after long tows. Jump starting the toad on the road is not fun, but can be done.
Finally doing this every 300 miles seem excessive. I believe you can do 800 miles in one day (although this is a long day traveling with the RV) without doing the car start deal. For me once a day, when we stop for fuel, run the toad engine. Run the Honda before you start for the day, without the BB in, Run the Honda if you stop for RV fuel, Run the Honda at the end of day of towing.
I understand the umbrella deal as you need to have the Honda foot break depressed to start the car. With my CR-V I can get my foot on the break without an umbrella.
All good so far. Hope this bit of info helps.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I tow a 2003 Acura TL which is closely related to the Accord. I think the rule of thumb is every 8 hours!! In fact, I'm looking at a letter from Honda that I found on towingworld.com a while back that specifically says "If you travel more than 8 hours in one day (including stopping time), you must stop and repeat the above procedures." It says nothing about a max speed. I generally drive about 70 while towing on the interstate. I probably have about 10K miles towing the TL this way. I think 300 miles would be overkill. JMHO.

By the way, if you do restart the car with the BrakeBuddy in, make sure you press the test button 5 or 6 times AFTER you turn the car off. Otherwise, if you have to stop quickly, the BrakeBuddy will slam on the car's breaks, and you'll be dragging the car. Don't ask how I know that one. Pretty expensive lesson.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Agree - 300 miles is overkill on a Honda. Use the 8 hour maxim instead.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote