Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #1

Newbie question about towing

I did a bit of reading on this forum and all of you convinced me that if I am going to tow a car behind my RV (yet to be purchased) then I need something that sounds like a supplemental braking/break away system for the toad. I plan to tow a 2012 Ford Fusion preferable or else a 2012 Ford Focus, if the Fusion thing is not workable.
My question is how much is the total package going to cost and where do you purchase it and get the work done? ANY information that you can provide this neophyte would be greatly appreciated.
Please be gentle with your comments as I am hoping to be a new RV'er sometime in the near future and my feelings get hurt easily.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

If you go for all new parts, base plate, tow bar, light package, brake system, plus installation, probably close to $2000-2500. ReadyBrake is probably the cheapest, simplest brake system.

ReadyBrake Supplemental Brake System for Towed Vehicles - NSA RV Products

Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

If you go for all new parts, base plate, tow bar, light package, brake system, plus installation, probably close to $2000-2500. ReadyBrake is probably the cheapest, simplest brake system.

ReadyBrake Supplemental Brake System for Towed Vehicles - NSA RV Products

Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924
Good assessment. Mine was about $2500 with an SMI brake system , Blue Ox tow bar , base plate and wiring harness.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are tow kinds of supplemental brake systems. One sits inside the vehicle and has a rod the pushes down on the brake pedal like Brake Buddy and the kind that is installed under the hood.

Supplemental brake system for tow car
Old 04-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #5

If you plan on getting a Ford Fusion, build dates after March 2012 are not flat towable. Only prior to that can they be flat towed and warrantable if there is a flat tow failure. Make sure to also follow the guidelines exactly to prevent transmission melt down from flat towing. 65 MPH max and stop every 6 hrs to run the engine and cool it down. Your local Ford dealer can give you the information to follow. Installing a Remco pump will also help as these transmission build a lot of heat while flat towing.

The Focus is great for flat towing due to it being a manual transmission that is shifted automatically. However, following the guidelines is also a must including disconnecting the battery. If not, the clutch may engage. The transmission will be in first gear at this time and if towing 65 MPH and the clutch engages, the damage will be catastrophic. It has been seen where engine pistons have pushed into the hood after escaping their home in the engine block.

Tags
newbie, towing