Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #1

Newbie question: Do I need a brake controller?

Greetings!!
As the new owner of 2015 Itasca Suncruiser, I'd like to tow my 2009 mini-cooper. (If anyone has done that, I've got some real questions for you...)

But the first question is: Do I need to have a brake controller installed in my Motorhome?

I've been looking at braking systems. Invisibrake uses the taillights (??) to activate the braking system, Brake Buddy uses (I think) a inertial sensing system and Brakemaster taps off the hydraulics on my gasser motorhome.

This surprises me since I thought the electric brake systems from trailers would be adapted to the automotive braking systems.

Thanks,
Jerald Pendleton
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #2

Toad brakes

First of all an electric trailer brake controler woun't work on your toad (car). The easy out is one of the free standing brake buddy type systems, basically there plug and go and work in whatever your planning on towing in the future without any instalation, just stick it in there and plug it in.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #3

Need, yes. Have to have, no. Your Mini is not that heavy and I'm sure your coach has enough brakes to stop it under normal braking but why take the chance. There are many brake systems for toads available and most everybody thinks their choice is best. I use a Brake Buddy because I have two vehicles set up to tow and the Brake Buddy will swap from vehicle to vehicle, it's not the most convenient setup compared to the permanently installed systems but it serves my purpose. I had a friend tell me one time that if he ever has an accident, not having a supplemental braking system will not be something he can be sued over! It's additional insurance against a lawsuit in case of an accident and additional peace of mind in a sudden braking situation.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpend View Post
Greetings!!
As the new owner of 2015 Itasca Suncruiser, I'd like to tow my 2009 mini-cooper. (If anyone has done that, I've got some real questions for you...)

But the first question is: Do I need to have a brake controller installed in my Motorhome?

I've been looking at braking systems. Invisibrake uses the taillights (??) to activate the braking system, Brake Buddy uses (I think) a inertial sensing system and Brakemaster taps off the hydraulics on my gasser motorhome.

This surprises me since I thought the electric brake systems from trailers would be adapted to the automotive braking systems.

Thanks,
Jerald Pendleton
jrpend
Toad brakes and electric trailer brakes a horse of a different feather.
As far as I know no toad brake systems need a brake controller like trailer electric trailer brakes and some tow dollyies use.
Mel
'98 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The 2009 Dinghy Towing Guide doesn't list the Mini Cooper, neither can I find a reference in the 2008 or 2010. The offical guide would be your owners manual. I have found numerous places that states the Mini Cooper is not towable with all 4 down and if it is that the warranty will be voided.

However, here's a link with MH owners that do tow mini coopers. Towing a Mini Cooper - Towing - FMCA Motorhome Forums
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
My 2006 mini weighs in above 3500 pounds so I think you would need to have auxiliary braking to be legal in several states. Your mini needs to be a standard shift. Automatic trans and those with all wheel drive are NOT towable four wheels down.
The auto trans ones can be towed on a dolly (at least that's my understanding).
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:31 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
My 2006 mini weighs in above 3500 pounds so I think you would need to have auxiliary braking to be legal in several states. Your mini needs to be a standard shift. Automatic trans and those with all wheel drive are NOT towable four wheels down.
The auto trans ones can be towed on a dolly (at least that's my understanding).
We towed a 2005 CVT and a 2011 auto trans on a tow dolly w/no problems.

Tags
newbie, brake