Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2015, 03:29 AM   #1

Newbie to toads - Subaru STi and Dutch Star

I'm in the process of buying a '15 Dutch Star 40 w tag axle. Had a prior MH but never set it up to tow a vehicle.

I have a 2013 Subaru STi and from what I'm reading it can be towed w 4 down (but if anyone can confirm, that would be great!)

I'm not sure where to begin in figuring out what I need for towing setup. I realize part of the setup is with the vehicle and part with the RV. Any suggestions on how to go about choosing the tow equipment?
ryant858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 05:36 AM   #2

Is the Subaru a manual shift? If not no 4 down. Go to roadmaster wedsite and find a dealer. Dave
Old 03-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Suggest you check the owners manual. Automatics are a no no. Manuals usually are ok for 4 down but Subaru has made some changes in recent past and some manuals are no longer 4 down. An email to Sabaru would be the best bet or go online and find an STi forum and run it past them asking for first hand experience. We were lucky and found a Forester forum that had a letter from Subaru approving manuals 4 down up to that time.
Good luck, good health and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:01 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In 2013 I was looking to buy a new car. The WRX (not STI) was on my short list. Dealer wasn't sure if it could be flat towed. I had him get out the owner's manual and we both found out it could be. He learned something new that day! I ended up buying the Focus ST in my signature, but it can't be flat towed. But, I already knew that.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:15 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Pretty sure your STi is a 6 speed manual so yes you can tow 4 down. Our 9-2x (a restyled and hot rodded WRX wagon) tows nicely.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ryant858,
Page 9-15 of the owner's manual says: "
1. Release the parking brake and put the
transmission in the
N/neutral position.
2. The ignition switch should be in the
"
ONposition while the vehicle is being
towed.
3. Take up slack in the towline slowly to
prevent damage to the vehicle."
To the rest of your questions you will need:
1. tow bar (on coach)
2. base plate (on car)
3. light kit to connect car running and brake lights to coach
4. auxiliary braking system. This activates the car brakes when the coach brakes are activated.
5. emergency break away switch (usually sold with auxiliary brake system).
6. large bright yellow cloth or towel

There are many different brands of the above mentioned components. They all work. You need to find the one that works the way you think. Google the product and begin your research. I use a Blue OX tow bar and base plate ( Blue Ox Towing Products | Towbars, Baseplates, Accessories and more ). USGEAR auxiliary brake system and emergency break away switch (Unified Tow Brake). Light kit came with the USGEAR product. The large brightly colored cloth is to tie to the top of the car steering wheel. A quick glance into the backup camera can tell you if the car steer wheels are straight.

To hook up and go, I have the mechanical set up with the tow bar. There is one umbilical from the coach to the car to power all the electrics, including charging the car battery.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, newbie, toad, toads