Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
Newbie to towing with a Class A

I recently purchased a good used Class A DP, getting ready to invest in the necessary/required towing components to tow my 2012 Jeep Liberty.

I think I've pretty much settled on the Blue Ox Base Plate & Tow Bar with the Air Force One Braking System.

My question to all those out there that are much more experienced and wiser than me at this, is should I purchase the required components separately and then take them to an RV repair center to be installed or should I purchase them and have the installation all done from one source.

Seems to me that I might be able to get better pricing on the components if purchased separately by shopping around i.e. amazon, ebay, etc.

Thank you all in advance for your insight and wisdom.

Dave, Vanessa & Mindye
SFC E-7, US Army Retired
2003 Kit Road Ranger 5th Wheel
dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 05:24 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
If you purchase yourself, make sure you have a shop who will install them. Some shops like to purchase the items themselves just incase there is a problem or issue.

CC..... Happy Rving!!
2013 Newmar - Canyon Star 3940
2012 Honda CR-V toad
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think it doesn't matter whether you buy parts and have them installed or buy the parts and installation together. What really matters is that whoever you have the parts installed by knows what they are doing. Get some recommendations on where to go in your area. I don't have any info about installers around Lovelock, NV, but I do know one with a great reputation in Coachella, CA.
2004 Southwind 32VS

Workhorse W20
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would find comfort in having the baseplate and wiring and braking system installed at a single place so there is some accountability. But most important, as mentioned above, is QUALIFIED and EXPERIENCED mechanic. ("Certified" to me only means that they took a "training" course, which may be nothing more than watching some videos!)
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, newbie, tow, towing