Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Newbie; Towing 4 down

Hello, I am looking to tow 4 down a 2011 Fusion Hybrid behind our 2008 38' Adventurer, equipted with Blue Ox towbar and Unifided Tow Brake that was installed in MH when we purchased it last March. I am trying to get as much knowledge as possiable, as we've never towed before. Thanks in advance for any and all info. Ray
The Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #2

The first thing to check is the Fusion Hybrid even towable 4 down, next is there a base plate available for it. If the answers are yes to both questions then your ready to go.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:50 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
The 2011 Fushion hybrid is listed in the FMCA guide as being OK to tow 4 down.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
This is the Blue Ox site with the part # for the base plate. I just bought a 2010 Flex...and need a new palte plate...Good Luck...D

Blue Ox Baseplate Search Results
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The Fusion Hybrid is towable without any internal modifications. You need base plates to hook the tow bar to, the car portion of the Unified Tow Brake installed, and car wiring for running lights (to hook to motorhome's tow plug). No sweat to actually tow it, but there should be towing instructions in the Fusion's owner manual about what to do before driving off. Ignition key setting, gear shift position, what should be on or off, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
This is the Ford Towing site...D

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...ng%20Guide.pdf
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boys View Post
Hello, I am looking to tow 4 down a 2011 Fusion Hybrid behind our 2008 38' Adventurer, equipted with Blue Ox towbar and Unifided Tow Brake

I own a 2010 Ford Fusion (non-hybrid) and a 2010 Subaru Outback with a manual transmission. I wanted to tow one or the other. As I looked at installation instructions for the U.S Gear UTB, it appeared that the Subaru installation would be much easier. I don't know what the engine compartment looks like with the hybrid, however, my Fusion's engine compartment very FULL. The UTB requires installation of a relatively small (about the size of a liter bottle) vacuum pump. The installation instructions call for that pump to be installed as close as possible to the vacuum line to the brake booster. I didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure out where to physically mount the vacuum pump on the Fusion because there's just so much room available on the Subaru.

I presume that it IS possible to find a place to mount the pump on your Fusion. However, you might want to take a look at the installation instructions for the UTB AND take a look under the hood of your Fusion to find a location for the pump BEFORE you drop $1,000 to buy the UTB.

Good luck.

Take care,
Stu
777 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:13 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks everyone for all the very good info.Will let all know how I make out, wife's Acura goes off lease soon, she's liking the Fusion Hybrid. Thanks again.
The Boys is offline   Reply With Quote