Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
NEWBY asking questions

I just joined the forum. I also just bought a Jayco 29D Class B+. Now I need to make a choice as to how to tow. I see so many 4-down but I have a PT Cruiser (2001) and a 2012 NISSAN ROGUE. I now know I cannot tow 4-down with the ROGUE. I also know a dolly won't work. So I have been looking for trailers. I priced a good trailer with double brakes for @$3295.00. To set up the PT Cruiser it was estimated to be $3500 - 4000. A Dolly seems to be a hassle. So I ask members - is towing a trailer down the highway and then finding campgrounds to suit a trailer - well is it a hassle? I think that seems to be my best option, although may not be the most practical. For trailer towing, is there a lot of sway as I see some campers ssing down the highway? I don't want a steering problem and I also don't know the retrofitting that needs done. The salesman said 20 - 30 minutes in and out. I honestly find that a stretch but as I said I'm a NEWBIE.

I sure could use some handy advise.
gdetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If I have your model information correctly you have a GVWR of 14,500 & GCWR of 19,500 which supports your 5,000 hitch. This is based on the 2010 model line so verify these numbers with your own documentation. So far, so good.

From what I have read , it looks like the curb weight of the PT Cruiser is somewhere around 3200#. Make sure you get it weighed including full fuel and any goodies it might be used to carry when being towed.

Now, go get your new RV weighed too. Have it loaded in a manner you think it will be when you hit the road. Full fuel, water, passengers, pets and such. I'm not as familiar with Class Bs but you may need to consider front and rear axle weights in the process. You may also have tire pressure guidelines to follow based on weight. Then again, maybe not. LOL Just do your homework and consider these items.

Your PT Cruiser is within your towing capabilities but don't forget a braking system to go with it. If you do, well...

ENJOY!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote