Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
Thanks for the reply but my owner's manual is different. It's a 2012 Wrangler "User Guide" and only 112 pages. The jeep is originally from Canada and was brought to the US a year ago to FL. I bought it this past weekend.
The differences are step 10. says "Turn OFF the engine and leave the ignition switch in the unlocked ACC position". There is a step 15. which says "Disconnect the negative battery cable, and secure it away from the negative battery post".

I looked at the front of the guide and it doesn't differentiate between US and Canadian models. Before I bought the Jeep I had read the instructions in a Jeep on a dealers lot, different Jeep, and it was as you said. When I got the one out is when I saw the discrepancy.

I looked at the Demco base plate online and may go that way but it mounts to the inside of the frame rail on the passenger side and outside on the driver's side. Seems an odd method rather than the same on both sides. I have a Demco KarKaddy SS that is rock solid and I suppose their tow products are also. BTW after the flat tow setup is complete, the SS will probably be sold.
This was documented on a Jeep forum somewhere but the issue is the manual wasn't updated. Basically as has been said if you don't have a steering lock then no key needed, no battery disconnect needed. Just hitch n go...
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #16

We have an 09 Wrangler. I am currently setting it up to tow. The op mentioned he had nothing yet and I highly recommend the Mopar Performance Wire Harness for the Jeep. It is plug and play and is fairly simple to install. I am in the process of building a new winch bumper for mine and plan to use the Blue Ox brackets on the bumper. Lots of info on the Jeep forums about this.
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #17

A few months ago we bought an nice, clean 08 Wrangler to tow. Did a ton of research and decided on the Ready Brute Elite bar with the integrated braking system. I'm very impressed with it so far. IF you are even considering an aftermarket bumper, I'd go ahead and get it right away instead of buying and installing a baseplate.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
We pull a 2010 with the elite ready brute and works great. If you have question about whether to turn key to acc position? Just park jeep take key out of ignition, jack up front end so wheels off ground then try to turn steering wheel. It will answer your steering wheel lock question every time
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #19

ALL 3.6L Jeep Wranglers are safe to tow without the key. If you are one of the unlucky that have the 3.8L, the steering wheel lock was done away with in '08 sometime. Late '08 had no lock, just not sure when.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub07 View Post
ALL 3.6L Jeep Wranglers are safe to tow without the key. If you are one of the unlucky that have the 3.8L, the steering wheel lock was done away with in '08 sometime. Late '08 had no lock, just not sure when.
Yep, we have a 2008 and it has the lock. Not really a big deal as it takes all of about a minute to pull the IOD fuse and put in the "blank" key. Just finished about 2400 miles in the last couple of weeks with no issues.

Tags
battery