Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm thinking the big wire harness on the drivers side was somehow pinched between the apron and base plate then tightened down with an air impact wrench breaking the insulation on the wiring then melting the rest of the insulation when electrical power was applied and somehow during communications about the results some wording got changed to infer welding was done causing a short and warning systems to activate.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I'm thinking the big wire harness on the drivers side was somehow pinched between the apron and base plate then tightened down with an air impact wrench breaking the insulation on the wiring then melting the rest of the insulation when electrical power was applied and somehow during communications about the results some wording got changed to infer welding was done causing a short and warning systems to activate.
I haven't been under the car, at the moment it's still at the dealership. It was there inspection that said the problem was heat from welding. I'm sitting anxiously by waiting for this to play out.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
I haven't been under the car, at the moment it's still at the dealership. It was there inspection that said the problem was heat from welding. I'm sitting anxiously by waiting for this to play out.
Ya,
As John said above. Could have shorted out and the ford mech. interpreted it a caused by a weld on the baseplate (during baseplate manufacture). Can't imagine welding it to car, or needing torch to loosen bolts on a new rig. Weird indeed!

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
UPDATE
It turns out there was no welding done on the base plate, just a false assumption by the Ford tech who claims never to have seen a base plate before. The plate pinched a cable and that needed to be replaced, as well as a cooling fan that was damaged by a short. All paid for by the RV tech. He is contacting Blue Ox to inform them that mention of the cable location should be included in the install instructions.

The upside was I've been borrowing a 2010 Z convertible from my son in law as a loaner. I'm almost sorry to get my car back Friday.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 04-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the update. We all knew that the welding part had to be an error. Glad it worked out for you.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I saw nothing in the video to indicate a potential for a problem, that being said things happen. They are stepping up and having the problem taken care of.

Replacing the harness and any effected parts replaced by Ford Should have no effect on the life expectancy of your vehicle.

Thank you for the update.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:30 AM   #21

The Excellent RV Tech is lucky he didn't get into any of the high voltage wires for the electric motor. That could have been a fatal mistake.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
The Excellent RV Tech is lucky he didn't get into any of the high voltage wires for the electric motor. That could have been a fatal mistake.
No doubt. The downside of going there is you never know which of the techs is actually going to be doing the work. I know for next time who to ask not be allowed to do the work. The same guy also screwed up my TV upgrade requiring a return visit and another tech to correct his mistake. I'm sure requesting another tech won't be a problem.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 05-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #23

Nightmare Baseplate Install

I agree with above comments. Once affected items replaced, it should be OK. As well as the wiring is done on cars, the harness affected should tell them ALL of the potential items fed by that harness. Electrical problems are never fun. TomKriek
Old 05-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Bummer! Hope it works out well for you!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote