Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Nissan Titan XD; Cummins 5.0L

I've been following the progress of this vehicle since it was first announced a couple years ago. I went for a test drive yesterday, and was very impressed by both the appearance and the functionality. They come standard with a gooseneck hitch prep and all of the trucks on this lot had the integrated toolboxes in the bed and the tie-down track system on the bed rails and in the bed. I assume these are optional.

The truck is very heavy at nearly 7500 lbs. The payload was listed at 1390 on the sticker inside the door. The one I drove was the highest level package available, Platinum Extreme. MSRP was around $63K. It was geared pretty low with 3.96's and an Aisan 6 sp tranny, and seemed to be pretty torquey. It claims 310 HP, 550 FP. The interior is smart and up to par with the level of the Big Three. It had 360 degree cameras the gave a seamless view surrounding the truck. The deal breaker came when I discovered that it can not be flat towed. The sales person didn't have a clue, so we unwrapped the owner's manual and sure enough, it stated that " expensive damage will occur if towed with any wheels on the ground". It didn't offer any solution to disengage the transfer case, and the sales and service managers didn't have any information on the topic.

Too bad. I have been looking forward to another 1/2 ton diesel pickup option. Toyota is supposed to release a Tundra later this year with the same 5.0L Cummins engine. We will wait to see what they offer.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 08:03 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Too bad. I have been looking forward to another 1/2 ton diesel pickup option. Toyota is supposed to release a Tundra later this year with the same 5.0L Cummins engine. We will wait to see what they offer.
I can almost guarantee Toyota will stick with their "No Toyota's can be towed" period. Was hoping the new Tacoma pick-up would be different. But no, can't be towed. Father was looking for a new smaller pick-up for a toad. Has to stay with his old Ranger.

I have the 14' Tundra. Been hearing about the diesel Tundra for ever. I won't believe it till I see it.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:33 AM   #3

You can tow a Tacoma you just need a driveshaft disconnect. I've been towing a Nissan Xterra 4wd which has a very simiar drivetrain for some time with a disconnect without issue. Don't know about the Titan but I suspect it may be towable with a disconnect as well.
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:40 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I've been following the progress of this vehicle since it was first announced a couple years ago. I went for a test drive yesterday, and was very impressed by both the appearance and the functionality. They come standard with a gooseneck hitch prep and all of the trucks on this lot had the integrated toolboxes in the bed and the tie-down track system on the bed rails and in the bed. I assume these are optional.

The truck is very heavy at nearly 7500 lbs. The payload was listed at 1390 on the sticker inside the door. The one I drove was the highest level package available, Platinum Extreme. MSRP was around $63K. It was geared pretty low with 3.96's and an Aisan 6 sp tranny, and seemed to be pretty torquey. It claims 310 HP, 550 FP. The interior is smart and up to par with the level of the Big Three. It had 360 degree cameras the gave a seamless view surrounding the truck. The deal breaker came when I discovered that it can not be flat towed. The sales person didn't have a clue, so we unwrapped the owner's manual and sure enough, it stated that " expensive damage will occur if towed with any wheels on the ground". It didn't offer any solution to disengage the transfer case, and the sales and service managers didn't have any information on the topic.

I didn't see where you looked at the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4X4. It is 4 flat towable. It won't tow a Goose neck because it is only a 1/2 ton and is not trying to be one of the Big Boys.
But if your MH is big enough and can tow 10k or more then why don't you just get a 1 ton or 3/4 ton that is setup tow a house
Old 04-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I didn't see where you looked at the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4X4. It is 4 flat towable. It won't tow a Goose neck because it is only a 1/2 ton and is not trying to be one of the Big Boys.
But if your MH is big enough and can tow 10k or more then why don't you just get a 1 ton or 3/4 ton that is setup tow a house
I have a 2013 F250 for a daily driver / work truck. It can not be flat towed. When I say that I mean as is from the factory. I'm not interested in an aftermarket device to disengage the transfer case. I will stick to towing my F150 for now.

I have also followed the Ram diesel since its announcement. It is definitely an option but since it will be DWs daily driver, it will be her decision. She drove diesel pickups for 15 years, but she doesn't like the Ram. Personally, I like them a lot and I'm considering getting one when I replace the F250 in a couple years. I virtually talked my cousin into buying one a year ago and he loves it. I just haven't been able to convince Kris to get one.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:08 PM   #6

Drove the Titan XD 3 times last week, like it more everytime I drive it.
I suspect it will be a good combo, Nissan does not shove junk out the door like the big 3 do to let their customers be guinia pigs. Plus, the Cummins is not a new engine as it is almost the same as the engine used for buses
I am having a hard time with pricing one out, that does not cost as much, or more than an F250 6.7 diesel, or Chevy Duramax 2500. The option packages do not suit me well.
But I sure like the truck, and it will pull anything i want.
Ford salesman tried to tell me an f150 gases would pull as well. I am not a believer about that, knowing how light the truck is, and that the eco 6 longevity would be seriously harmed towing that much wright around often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post

IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins