Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2005, 06:50 PM   #1

Forgive me if this issue has been asked and answered before. I have searched the board, but I just seem to confuse myself. The problem is the brake lights. They don't appear to be working. We had a complete Roadmaster tow system, (base plate wiring etc), installed on our toad by camping world recently. I just noticed that the brake lights on the toad do not work. Everything else, (turn signals, parking lights), function normally.I recall that when we had the setup tested, the tech could not get the brake lights working at first, but finally got them working. Also at the time of instalation, I remarked that the tail lights seemed dim. The installation took longer than they thought, and I think the guy was in a hurry to get out of there. It was finished about 40 minuets after the store had closed. I did call and speak to the service manager. He stated that he thought I might need a brite lite converter, and wants to set up an appointment. Thats nice, but we are about 2 hours away. I was wondering if any one had any ideas, as to what I can check, before I have to take a day off to get this fixed. With this being the case, should'nt they have included the converter with the installation. We bought a complete package with the tow bar, brackets, wiring etc, installation, included. I'm also confused about the brite lite. The web site states that it's to brighten the lights. If the lights don't work, will the converter, or is there something I'm missing. Any help would be appreciated greatly.........Thanks Steve

98' Vectra Grand Tour 35 WQ
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2005, 06:50 PM   #2

Forgive me if this issue has been asked and answered before. I have searched the board, but I just seem to confuse myself. The problem is the brake lights. They don't appear to be working. We had a complete Roadmaster tow system, (base plate wiring etc), installed on our toad by camping world recently. I just noticed that the brake lights on the toad do not work. Everything else, (turn signals, parking lights), function normally.I recall that when we had the setup tested, the tech could not get the brake lights working at first, but finally got them working. Also at the time of instalation, I remarked that the tail lights seemed dim. The installation took longer than they thought, and I think the guy was in a hurry to get out of there. It was finished about 40 minuets after the store had closed. I did call and speak to the service manager. He stated that he thought I might need a brite lite converter, and wants to set up an appointment. Thats nice, but we are about 2 hours away. I was wondering if any one had any ideas, as to what I can check, before I have to take a day off to get this fixed. With this being the case, should'nt they have included the converter with the installation. We bought a complete package with the tow bar, brackets, wiring etc, installation, included. I'm also confused about the brite lite. The web site states that it's to brighten the lights. If the lights don't work, will the converter, or is there something I'm missing. Any help would be appreciated greatly.........Thanks Steve

Old 06-19-2005, 11:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Steve, the bright light kit will not make the brake lights work but it may be a way the manager can get you to bring it back to correct any problem with the wiring. I would ask them to correct the problem of the brake light and then evaluate as to whether or not you need this additional kit. Let us know the outcome.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:44 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot about finding out what's wrong will depend on how your setup is set up. Did they wire in separate lights to conect to the MH circuits, or did they connect to the existing toad lights and use a diode kit? On a simple setup, you have a connection for ground, tail lights, RH blinker, and LH blinker. Brake lights work by activating both turns at the same time, then the turn signal overrides the brake light causing it to blink when brakes are applied. Do the MH brakelights still work? There are things you can do yourself to debug, but you need some tools like a multimeter or one of the special trailer wiring debuggers. You can connect the multimeter between the ground pin and one of the hot pins on the MH, then have someone step on the MH brake and see what pin(s) have power. You can use a 12V source like a battery to checkout the toad connector; negative to ground, and connect the positive to different pins to see if lights come on. You can also check the brightness that way. I realize I'm rambling, just thinking while I type.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:53 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply's. I have to check again, but I believe they did use a diode kit. Yes the motorhome lights are fine. There was a 6 pin connector on the motorhome, and the tech put a 4 pin connector on the unit, to match the 4 pin connector on the car, that was installed. Don't know if that makes a difference. We'll see. thanks again......Steve

Old 06-21-2005, 07:42 AM   #6

Just got an appointment for July 9th, not too bad. We'll have them check everything. We'll have all day, so they won't be rushed, and I can check everything over. Thanks again....Steve