Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
Acme tow dolly with 2014 Ford Focus (no locking steering column) works fine. Dolly has no pivot point and the Focus's Front wheels are the pivot point.

You should have only one pivot point. Either the tow dolly tray pivots or the front wheels pivot, not both. Some dollys with a pivot tray can be locked so they don't pivot when towing a car that does not have a locking steering column.

Locking steering columns are disappearing fast. If you are looking at dollys with a pivot tray make sure it can be locked when towing a newer car without a locking steering column.

Just a note from a comment about the Ford Edge above:
When I checked the Ford Edge Front wheel drive was not flat towable and has to be oen a dolly. The All Wheel Drive Edge is only flat towable and can't be towed on a dolly.
The 2014 owner manual, page 237, 1st paragraph vehicles equipped with the 3.5 or 3.7L engine can be towed " with all four wheels on the ground or with the front wheels off the ground by using a tow dolly". The AW drive can be towed "with all four wheels on the ground or with all four wheels off the ground".

I have read about the Acme Tow Dolly, just seems high priced and I am concerned about the surge brake system. I have never used one, any issues

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slhicks View Post

I have read about the Acme Tow Dolly, just seems high priced and I am concerned about the surge brake system. I have never used one, any issues

Surge brakes are great no adjustments required, regardless if empty or loaded to capacity.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #31

You can rent a surge brake dolly from U Haul, give it a try
Old 02-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slhicks View Post
The 2014 owner manual, page 237, 1st paragraph vehicles equipped with the 3.5 or 3.7L engine can be towed " with all four wheels on the ground or with the front wheels off the ground by using a tow dolly". The AW drive can be towed "with all four wheels on the ground or with all four wheels off the ground".

They revised the manual. Here's the correct towing instructions for the 2014 Edge. You can't tow the AWD on a dolly.

I was considering the Edge or another Escape and went over it with the dealer and the factory on the phone when I bought the '14 Focus as a toad. I was told by the factory rep that the escape and edge AWD should not be towed on a dolly. Main reason I went with the FWD Focus was higher max speed, no need run the engine every so often, and gas mileage.
As far as the Acme Dolly, the surge breaks work great. Don't need any special wiring for any toad. Great if you sometimes get a rental and want to dolly it.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:23 AM   #33

I have the FWD Edge. Second question concerning the Acme Tow Dolly. my Edge has a width of 76" excluding the mirrors with a 65.4" Front Track. The distance between the fenders for the Acme Tow Dolly (w/ surge brake) is 80". Which measurement should I be concerned about? I would guess the Front Track measurement versus the vehicle width.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #34

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
our toyota solara has a locking steering wheel BUT it only has locking positions when the wheel is turned significantly left or right. Since this does not work for dolly towing, I use a ratchet strap from the seat base to the wheel and back down to the opposite front seat base. works great and is easy to use.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #35

Just wondering, who has had the wandering toad issue, without locking or tieing the steering wheel.

I never noticed it, on my turntable dolly.

Just Thinking

Tags
dolly, steering, tow