Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2014, 07:11 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Not so Ready Stop

We have had a Ready Brake and Ready Stop for about four years now and no complaints. After returning from our yearly six month snowbird trip the loop on the end of the Ready Stop literally fell off while not even connected.
The cable on it is noticeably rusted compared to the Ready Brake.

I contacted NSA and this was the response.

"We sell both cables for the break-away individually if you want to buy one.
The cable that draped across the tow bar the (Sling) is $22
The one that goes through the break-away body is $12
to get these items you will have to call us.

Tod Westervelt
President"

I have no problem with the $12 but was more concerned that the cable originally supplied was made of inferior material and would have provided no protection in the event the toad cut loose. I will discuss this with NSA when I call and report back. If you have a Ready Stop be sure to check it before your next trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5230186.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	63706  
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #2

When I installed my ReadyBrake and ReadyStop I used stainless steel cables instead of the galvanized cables they supplied.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
When I installed my ReadyBrake and ReadyStop I used stainless steel cables instead of the galvanized cables they supplied.
Good idea. It looks like the Read Brake may have either stainless or some kind of galvanized cable as it has not rusted at all. It is in a tube though so that could be saving it.

Maybe a trip to the hardware store is in order rather than buying one from NSA.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #4

Mine were galvanized steel. I used the housing, just replaced the cable part.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Mine were galvanized steel. I used the housing, just replaced the cable part.
I have to assume the Ready Stop cable was not galvanized at all. After the end fell off I took a closer look and it is completely rusted. Sure glad we never needed it.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #6

Could be. I thought mine were galvanized but maybe not. Long gone now so I can't check.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:19 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: If that cable is what I think it is. I think 12 bucks is a bit steep.. I will explain in a paragraph.

Second: INSPECTION should be part of the hook up process. and in theory you should have spotted the rust.. Problem with this is the word "THEORY" it is not always possible for a simple visual inspection to spot the rust.

Now: the cable.. A generic cable from a hardware store and a few (4) Cable clamps will replce it for closer to six bucks, and be more open to visual inspection as well. What's more you can buy the proper length so as to be able to attach this cable to something OTHER than the hitch or the safety cable loops.. (Fact: On my coach, a pair of brackets broke, Dropped the entire hitch assembly including the RECEIVER and the safety cable attachment points onto the road.. My bicycle, which rides the hitch, tire hit the road and .. major damage.. This is what caused a passing motorist to call my attnetion to it.. I found the shoulder, , the only connection remaining to the Motor home was the electric brakes for the towed.. They worked, PERFECTLY.

Got dissassembled, wife drove towed, I drove MH, we found a repair facility the next day 50 bucks and I was on the road again.

After that I found a better place for the break-a-way cable.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:11 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
First: If that cable is what I think it is. I think 12 bucks is a bit steep.. I will explain in a paragraph.

Second: INSPECTION should be part of the hook up process. and in theory you should have spotted the rust.. Problem with this is the word "THEORY" it is not always possible for a simple visual inspection to spot the rust.
I agree about inspection and we try to always give it a once over when connecting the toad. Where it broke was right at the clamp on the loop. It is tight against the gadget that prevents the cable from retracting if the toad breaks away so that small area is difficult to see. I could see surface rust on the rest of it but it really did not looks that bad.

I also thought $12 was a little steep compared to a length of SS cable and a couple of aircraft cable clamps.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #9

I would be more concerned with the angle you have of the cable wire loop. The pull should perpendicular to the tow bar.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Idaho, I assume you meant parallel with the tow bar. It looks to me by the picture that his loop for the brakes is pretty close but not quite centered to the base plate attachment points.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Idaho, I assume you meant parallel with the tow bar. It looks to me by the picture that his loop for the brakes is pretty close but not quite centered to the base plate attachment points.
Correct!
I should of said perpendicular with the base plate. Pulling the aircraft cable at an angle will kink the cable and eventually break.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #12

Galvanized cable? I thought they were supposed to be aircraft cable (thats what I have)... This cable should not rust...

"ReadyBrake uses the weight of the towed vehicle to stop the vehicle. When you step on the brakes of the motorhome the force of the towed vehicle pushes the towbar forward into the ReadyBrake. This force is transferred into the lever on top, which in turn activates your towed vehicle brakes using an aircraft cable. A safe, simple and easy to use solution to stopping your RV."

That cable broke (aircraft cable dont break unless it is cut or pinched and eventually breaks)... NSA should replace that cable for free. It was never under tension so it shouldnt have broke... in other words, when it was crimped on that loop, it was pinched and therfore defective.... I will check our cable for this.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:16 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Correct!
I should of said perpendicular with the base plate. Pulling the aircraft cable at an angle will kink the cable and eventually break.
The brake cable runs inside a tube like an old fashion speedometer cable. Not likely to kink I hope. I decided on the placement on top of the front bumper for two reasons. First the height puts the cable at a level angle to the Ready Brake. Second underneath the plastic covering the bumper has about the best metal to attach to. Behind it, of course is the radiator so a little angle is necessary to clear it. I have straightened it out but it creeps back to that angle. It's not at max tension either. The light weight car could probably get away with no brakes but to be safe we installed the Ready Brake for hard stops and to be legal in states that require a brake.

It really looks to me like where the cable is crimped, it rotted out. I wonder if the cable and that crimp are dissimilar metals causing it to. The rest has some surface rust but not near as bad.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Does anyone have an idea on how to pull the cable back into the device attached at the bumper? On this past trip the cable was pulled out about 3 inches, not sure how or why.
Jrf4865 is offline   Reply With Quote