Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
KennyGolub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Where we park it
Posts: 388
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Not sure if this should be in tow section....but....

I'm browsing thru LOTS of pics with small to huge trailers being pulled by class A MH.......

I still have to ask:

Where do you guys put your trailer when arriving at the camp ground ? Do you have to call in advance for parks that allow those ? Isn't this a little more difficult than using a dolly ?

Not that it's very hard, but I'm confused.....
__________________

__________________
Ken & Laurie
North in summer, South in Winter
2015 Allegro Bus 45LP
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I always towed four down but have stayed among many folks who towed trailers of all sizes. I was very envious of those who have a well outfitted garage/workshop in the trailer once the auto is removed.

I'm sure that this requires some amount of extra planning. Folks with direct experience are sure to chime in but I'm pretty sure that they either request 60'+ pull throughs or make arrangements with the CG that they can store their trailer in a special area.

Best of luck

Rick
__________________

__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
lanerd's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Home in warm Sou Calif for the winter.
Posts: 1,399
Rick, a 45' motor home with a trailer that can haul a car plus workshop is going to be a lot longer than 60'. Probably closer to 75'.

Many rv parks (not campgrounds) will have an area just for items like this and is typically free for the overnight renter. Long stay rv'er will, I'm sure, have to pay a fee.

Ron
__________________
Ron, Sandie and Lilly
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH 400 ISL | 2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2
Roadmaster All Terrain | US Gear Unified Brake System | Pressure Pro
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Rick, a 45' motor home with a trailer that can haul a car plus workshop is going to be a lot longer than 60'. Probably closer to 75'.

Ron
Lanerd, I don't disagree.

I understood that the OP had a 40' motor home and was trying to decide between a trailer and a dolly. The embellishment of the trailer features was something I injected.

But at the end of the day, I'll agree that 75' is better than 60+'.

Rick
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 34
I call ahead to and tell them my rig length (42'+29') and ask it they have long enough pull-through's or do I have to disconnect. Most campgrounds have some pull-throughs that can accomodate big rigs.

But it does take some pre-planning.
__________________
2008 Revolution 42LE Motorhome
2014 MTI 29' Race Trailer
2010 Cadillac SRX & 2010 HD Ultra Limited
sctdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,132
The resort we patronize has pull throughs and a storage lot. We prefer the back in we use so use the storage lot for a nominal fee. For that they provide security for our trailer.

We have overnighted in campgrounds that were able to accomodate our rig. Some have let us unhook and leave the trailer next door for the overnight. With the back camera it has become quite simple to disconnect and connect.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
jeryan59's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 667
I call ahead and verify the pull through length of the site and determine if that will work for me? Especially just for overnighting. If pull through isn't long enough or if they do not allow trailers to be on site, then I ask what the policy is for storing my trailer. I have yet to pay any extra but if it is a reasonable fee I wouldn't have an issue with it.

I like having my trailer on my site if possible as it can be a garage in the event of severe weather (hail) for my vehicle and I always put my Harley Road Glide back in the trailer if I can.

I started with renting cars, then tow dolly, then 4 wheels down, and now exclusively enclosed trailer. All have their advantages/disadvantages, I liked it best when I had a vehicle I could tow 4 down and the enclosed trailer option for my circumstances, but currently don't own a vehicle capable of towing 4 down. You really need to look at your personal circumstances and do what is best for you.

I really do not find any of the options that bad, but the tow dolly was my least favorite option when invariably the pavement was wet and I had to secure safety chains, it was also the method that I seemed to get the dirtiest. I love the trailer method, sometimes it is inconvenient, mainly to take the coach to get serviced, but that is usually only once per year for me.
__________________
Johnny Rotten
2009 American Eagle 42'
Trailering HD Road Glide and Saab 9.3 or Cadillac Escalade ESV
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
KennyGolub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Where we park it
Posts: 388
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
I call ahead and verify the pull through length of the site and determine if that will work for me? Especially just for overnighting. If pull through isn't long enough or if they do not allow trailers to be on site, then I ask what the policy is for storing my trailer. I have yet to pay any extra but if it is a reasonable fee I wouldn't have an issue with it.

I like having my trailer on my site if possible as it can be a garage in the event of severe weather (hail) for my vehicle and I always put my Harley Road Glide back in the trailer if I can.

I started with renting cars, then tow dolly, then 4 wheels down, and now exclusively enclosed trailer. All have their advantages/disadvantages, I liked it best when I had a vehicle I could tow 4 down and the enclosed trailer option for my circumstances, but currently don't own a vehicle capable of towing 4 down. You really need to look at your personal circumstances and do what is best for you.

I really do not find any of the options that bad, but the tow dolly was my least favorite option when invariably the pavement was wet and I had to secure safety chains, it was also the method that I seemed to get the dirtiest. I love the trailer method, sometimes it is inconvenient, mainly to take the coach to get serviced, but that is usually only once per year for me.
Thank you for the very detailed reply.

Did you ever use a state park whilst towing a trailer? Just curious if any of them make arrangements.
__________________
Ken & Laurie
North in summer, South in Winter
2015 Allegro Bus 45LP
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
jeryan59's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Thank you for the very detailed reply.

Did you ever use a state park whilst towing a trailer? Just curious if any of them make arrangements.
I have not used State Park, I have used the City Park in Omaha (Dodge Park) with no issue leaving it at premises, but not on a site.

Main reason I wanted a trailer was I wanted to take my motorcycle with me and a vehicle, and I was really tired of traveling on sloppy roads and my toad was so dirty it would take an eternity to clean. I mean, if you know what it is like driving on slushy roads with just your vehicle, imagine it behind your motorhome with soot and road grime from all the spray coming off the coach. I also was tired of having my toad with the bikes on hitch mount getting tampered with while I overnighted on my to my destination.

I don't have the luxury to avoid inclement weather and I tend to use my unit way more in the Fall through Spring, so I see way more inclement weather than the average RVer.
__________________

__________________
Johnny Rotten
2009 American Eagle 42'
Trailering HD Road Glide and Saab 9.3 or Cadillac Escalade ESV
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tow



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can my F150 tow the Winnie Minnie? reactor7 Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 27 01-14-2015 12:07 PM
To Tow or NOT to Tow ??? sammax Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 5 02-07-2014 12:38 PM
Tow bar upgrade question adonh Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 9 09-03-2013 11:46 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.