Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Honda CR-V that is all wheel drive. There is no transfer case and therefor no low range. This is NOT an off road vehical. Without low range it bogs down in sand as soon as all four wheels are in the sand. Don't ask me how I know and especially don't ask my wife who said "I WOULDN'T DO THAT IF I WERE YOU". Opps

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
The main trouble with AWD, in addition to no low range, is most AWD transfer cases don't have a true locking system between front and rear wheels and the clutches found in most providing the limited slip action between F&R can be quite worn in short order.

They're fine for snowy roads but for rough stuff where you can have very limited traction or even a tire or two completely off the ground, not so good. Even the ones without clutches like the "full time" 4WD in my wife's Cherokee isn't great 'cause if you lose all traction for just one wheel you're sitting right were you are 'till you pop it into "part time" which locks the front and rear together.

Whatever the OP chooses if he wants to do many of the Colorado trails it should have a true 4wd transfer case with a low range and good ground clearance.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You're missing one important thing about the Jeep Wrangler being higher priced, it also means it's going to hold it's value much better than other 4X4s. A recent article puts the Jeep Wrangler as the number one in terms of resale or trade in value. As an example they said an 07 Wrangler's trade in value was 91% of MSRP.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
You're missing one important thing about the Jeep Wrangler being higher priced, it also means it's going to hold it's value much better than other 4X4s. A recent article puts the Jeep Wrangler as the number one in terms of resale or trade in value. As an example they said an 07 Wrangler's trade in value was 91% of MSRP.
I was at my dealer getting my oil changed and they offered me what I paid for my 2009 Wrangler on a trade in. I have purchased 2 Wranglers from this salesman and there offer was sincere. I have a 2009 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with all extras that listed for 37k and I purchased it for 28.5 out the door in 09. They keep there value.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I have a Honda CR-V that is all wheel drive. There is no transfer case and therefor no low range. This is NOT an off road vehical. Without low range it bogs down in sand as soon as all four wheels are in the sand. Don't ask me how I know and especially don't ask my wife who said "I WOULDN'T DO THAT IF I WERE YOU". Opps
Hey Chuck 1935, tried to PM you, but you're not accepting. I would like to get more info from you re the CRV. I have recently purchased a used CR-V AWD. stock tires, to use as a toad. My previous toad was a trail capable modified Tacoma 4wd standard, which I have used for serious rock crawling, etc. in the past. I bought the CRV thinking I might be able to use it on some of the secondary, back country roads out west, No serious stuff. I mainly wanted higher clearance and AWD for minor slippery traction conditions. What experiences have you had with yours under the aforementioned conditions?
Old 01-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdja View Post
Hey Chuck 1935, tried to PM you, but you're not accepting. I would like to get more info from you re the CRV. I have recently purchased a used CR-V AWD. stock tires, to use as a toad. My previous toad was a trail capable modified Tacoma 4wd standard, which I have used for serious rock crawling, etc. in the past. I bought the CRV thinking I might be able to use it on some of the secondary, back country roads out west, No serious stuff. I mainly wanted higher clearance and AWD for minor slippery traction conditions. What experiences have you had with yours under the aforementioned conditions?
I don't know why my PM is off, I'll have to fix that. As far as thr CR-V is concerned, it does have a bit better groung clearance and is a tad better in some slippery conditions. The lack of low range kills any real off road capabilities. I also had a real 4WD Suzuki Sidekick which was really off road capable other than it didn't have a lot of power and was smaller that the CR-V. I don't want to get too far in the back country without someone else in case I were to break down. I have explored all over the desert on a dirt bike but there were always two of us.
I really do love the CR-V as a toad or a great second car.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote