Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #15

Towing the car is basically the same as putting it on the roof as far as weight is concerned. It is additional mass that the engine has to move and stop. I know it not exactly the same as far as tires and suspension is concerned.
It is still more mass. More weight more fuel!! That is one reason to make cars lighter.
Gary

Gary D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^^ and putting it up there in neutral wouldn't be a good idea either.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthunts View Post
Really if your toad is in a neutral gear you can almost push it yourself by hand. So all you RV pros go ahead and let me have it but I just don't get it
Yes, you can 'push it yourself by hand.' Take the car out in a big, flat space. Push your car, get it moving, then run around to the front and STOP it. Momentum and inertia are curious things. When moving anything, you have to overcome inertia and stop momentum. The ratings aren't just to make you buy a bigger tow vehicle, they are based on engineering limits.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #18

Lots of good comments. Thanks for not calling me an idiot. I think most concerns seem to be about stopping the toad which I agree is a critical issue. I believe I addressed that concern with a quality toad braking system( I use a ready brute) I appreciate the comments
Old 05-19-2014, 12:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread, but would like to know more, as I am towing a 3000# Chev Cobalt 4 down using a 10" drop.

Roger
My answer to a 10" drop hitch. The white paint is to help me line it up when connecting. The hitch also has whited paint. I don't care what anybody thinks about it being painted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	63274  
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gas Coaches that have frame rail extensions added by the coach builder are generally much weaker than original frames, hitch ratings from coach builders take this into consideration.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Lots of good comments. Thanks for not calling me an idiot. I think most concerns seem to be about stopping the toad which I agree is a critical issue. I believe I addressed that concern with a quality toad braking system( I use a ready brute) I appreciate the comments
gthunts
My 35' Safari DP, (fully loaded for travel with my toad attached), weighs a total of 23.900 lbs.
The GCVWR, (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating), of my coach is 28,000 lbs.
My coach tows and stops my toad, (which has no auxiliary breaking system), with absolutely no problem.

BTW, (if my 2900 lb toad would fit in a compartment), I could SAFELY carry my toad IN my coach, because the GVWR, (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), of my coach is 24,000 lb.

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara,
132k miles (105k towing w/NO aux. brakes)
Old 05-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The stability of the combined vehicle is also a design criteria. Mass is a critical component here as is the center of gravity in a 3 dimensional way. Take a clock pendulum. It works, yes? Now put a hinge in the middle, it still weighs the same, does it work? .you get the idea. A pendulum is 2 dimensional the toad is hinged in two axes.

Physics is a wonderful thing, get crossways with it and it will run you over without an after thought.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #23

Since we all know the concept of gravity (vertical force) and deal with it every day, it is a lot easier to visualize and take into account of this force. Horizontal force is not any different, it needs to be taken into account with the MH frame, braking system and the way we attach extra additional forces to the monstrous machines we all love. Take heed to the numbers your MH came with... numbers were invented for a reason.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
Since we all know the concept of gravity (vertical force) and deal with it every day, it is a lot easier to visualize and take into account of this force. Horizontal force is not any different, it needs to be taken into account with the MH frame, braking system and the way we attach extra additional forces to the monstrous machines we all love. Take heed to the numbers your MH came with... numbers were invented for a reason.
Very good point.

I think all too often we dispute the calculations of engineers who we oft time see as being very conservative with their numbers.

Unfortunately we fail to appreciate the repetitive cycles we subject our vehicles to. We start/stop and repeat countless times. Use the engine brake, step on the gas, repeat. And we expect the universal joints to last forever no matter what. Stuff wears and sometimes the maintenance is questionable. But we expect the life of the unit to pull, stop and last.

Brake performance deteriorates during the life of the brakes. New brakes will stop much better than brakes near the end of their life. Dry brakes will out perform wet brakes but the load remains the same. Toad brakes work but sometimes the connection comes loose or is not properly connected, what if it fails. How often have you seen units pulling trailers in the mountains going down hill with the brakes on the tow unit smoking and nothing from the tow unit?

Please use the numbers as they are published. If you do not agree with them, get a degree, do the testing and prepare different charts.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
My answer to a 10" drop hitch. The white paint is to help me line it up when connecting. The hitch also has whited paint. I don't care what anybody thinks about it being painted.
Dunner,
I have seen the picture of your hitch before never asked, what tube did you use Chrome moly? Looks like 3/4". I also use a 10" dropped hitch but it's a Reese Straight Line equalizer. Had it from when I pulled a 30 ft travel trailer with my Yukon XL. The only thing it pulls now is a 20 ft enclosed trailer hauling my daughters four seat razor.
Any thoughts about using an equalizer hitch with a MH?

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I like your hitch support rods. What is this connection point at the coach? It looks too wide for the frame rails in the pic.