Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #1

OK, everyone pile on

I know I'm gonna get pounded for this but here goes. I don't understand why there is so much concern about toad weight and GVW. if you are towing 4 down there is almost no extra weight on the MH chassis. I understand the concept of having a vehicle pushing you in a braking situation but if your toad has a braking system that pretty much prevents the push. I know the extra weight puts a little more strain on the MH engine and tranny but once again in a 4 down situation even that is minimal. Really if your toad is in a neutral gear you can almost push it yourself by hand. So all you RV pros go ahead and let me have it but I just don't get it
gthunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #2

Boy did you open a can of worms!!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #3

You are assuming driving on level ground, driving up steep grades places considerably more strain on the MH drivetrain. Sure I could push my Jeep a short distance on level ground, but up a 1% grade might put me in the hospital. And it's not the GVW that matters here, it's the GCWR, and the towing weight limit of your MH hitch framework.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #4

I agree that steep grades will work the MH harder. That's a no brainer. Sorry for using the wrong letters for the vehicle weight. I also agree that you should have a hitch capable of handling your toad. I think we can agree that most MH hitches properly installed will accomplish the task. I still don't agree with adding a 4 down toad to gross vehicle weight since the toad supports it's own weight
gthunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #5

here is one side to think of it

its not about stopping the the load its about keeping it stoped

the allison 1000 and the 2000 are the same thing but have a max towing rate
the allison 2100 is all most the same thing but has a higher tow ratting and it is has the park pal out of the unit and a parking brake unit installed on the drive shaft

so its more what can your parking brakes hold on a % of a hill when parked
what can .. now only 4 tires hold back on the rear axle
that is what it really mostly comes down to

you may have brakes of every tire

but when parked whats stopping all that from rolling away

so 99% of every one here that parks on a hill is not going to keep there foot on the brake why some one puts the towd in park
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I am not entirely sure what GCVW really is. It seems to be a magic number that manufacturers come up with to stymy everyone who wants to tow anything. Same with GVW, GAWR rear and GAWR front. I expect there are engineers sitting in a back room somewhere trying to frustrate as many people as they can by developing those numbers.

Without directly speaking with them I suspect that they factor in a number of things. My bet would be on stress on frame, transmission, driveline, brakes and any number of things they consider their chassis will safely pull. Thinking things through they take into account the whole of life for the vehicle. At least I hope they do and these are not just numbers for a brand new vehicle.

Although you have reduced your tongue weight the weight of the toad counts just as much as the weight of a trailer. Given you can push your toad is no different than if we had a free flowing wheel on the hitch of a trailer. I have pushed a trailer for a short distance on a concrete floor but would not do it very far.

I empathize with you. I want our coach to pull 20,000 but it only is rated for 15,000. Going to have to live with it or buy a heavier coach.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:26 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know of folks who tow WAY and I mean WAY over the rating of the motor home.. That said.. Stopping is my primary concern and you have addressed that concern well.. But going up hills is another.

And I've had a hitch break because it was not up to hauling the rated load when using a drop hitch adapter.

Plus as someone mentioned, Engine/drive train/transmission stress.

But as I said, you addressed my PRIMARY concern (Panic stop)
Old 05-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
And I've had a hitch break because it was not up to hauling the rated load when using a drop hitch adapter.
I don't want to hijack the thread, but would like to know more, as I am towing a 3000# Chev Cobalt 4 down using a 10" drop.

Roger
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
99% of every one here that parks on a hill is not going to keep there foot on the brake why some one puts the towd in park
terry
You park your rig on hills?
How do you level it?
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread, but would like to know more, as I am towing a 3000# Chev Cobalt 4 down using a 10" drop.

Roger
Some manufacturers of the drop hitches provide a weight reduction chart to go with their product, because of the mechanical advantage, the leverage of the drop puts on the hitch . Some come with a flat warning that they reduce the hitch's tow capacity by 50%.
I'll see if I can locate a copy.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #11

I'm more concerned about things like U-Joints.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For the original question...It's not smoke and mirrors...Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) is the total mass that the driveline in the pulling vehicle is designed to move within all design conditions. This includes mountain driving and freeway speeds.
See RVIA definitions here: Definitions and Terms | RVSEF

The trailer or car having brakes is an expectation. The weight on the tongue is an expectation. Engineers expect these parameters to be followed.

The reason to avoid exceeding GCWR is to keep from blowing up the engine or more likely from smoking the transmission due to heat build-up.

Can you exceed GCWR...? Sure, but the driveline can be damaged, warrantee will usually be voided, and if there was an accident, insurance might not pay and/or the police might try to procecute.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
terry
You park your rig on hills?
How do you level it?
Mel

yep i am sure we all do

in the drive way at home when not camping
parking lots
there is alot of places to park you RV on a trip on your way some where

you can be driving down a 7% grade hill and see a crash or stuck behind one or even brake down on the side of the road on a hill

we do it all the time with out thinking about it so again its not about stopping the load as your brakeing system is XX over the size you need to stop ... its more about keeping it stop and one set of parking tires can only hold back so much befor you start to slide down hill
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hook her and go. You are wasting time.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote