Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:59 AM   #1

I bought the Colorado and need to get it set up for towing behind the MH. I am cheap so need the least expensive combination. I am also not that mechanical so need simple operation and the installation will most likely be done at Camping World. Your advice please.

Thanks.

JAXFL
JAXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2008, 02:59 AM   #2

I bought the Colorado and need to get it set up for towing behind the MH. I am cheap so need the least expensive combination. I am also not that mechanical so need simple operation and the installation will most likely be done at Camping World. Your advice please.

Thanks.

JAXFL
Old 09-29-2008, 03:40 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
First thing you need to decide is what tow bar system you will use, Roadmaster or Blue Ox. I always tell people to go the their websites look up your vehicle and see which one looks best to your satisfaction. They are equally good systems. Then I would sepnd the extra money and make sure your tow bar is like the all terrain one so that you can un-hook easily(cheap is not always right there). If you are putting a brake system brake buddy is probably cheaper and easier, even being non-mechanical you can install that, worse thing you have to do is fish the lug through your firewall of your truck.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The least expensive tow bar is the ball hitch type, but that is also the least convenient to hook up and use. The easiest is the type that mounts and stays on the motor home, but they are also the most expensive (Surprise, surprise )

And an auxiliary brake for the toad is going to be a major expense, so hang onto your wallet.

Probably the cheapest all around solution is the Ready Brute PLus towbar with built in brake - see www.readybrake.com . I don't like that set-up myself, but it is a cheap way out.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will be much happier if you go ahead and spend the bucks to get a folding tow bar that remains on the motorhome. The fixed type are a pain to hook up.

Next hing and is a must have is auxillary brakes and break away system for the dinghy.
We used one when we were towing and I do not recomend towing without one...no matter the cost or how cheap you are.

Generally if cost is a factor, Camping World is not the lowest cost.

Ken
Old 09-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #6

Jaxfl....Are you sure you don't have a relative,friend, neighbor, etc, who might be willing to help you install your towbar. They really are not all that hard to install. Separate bulbs in your tail lights are an easy install also. I don't consider myself all that handy, yet I have done my own install on a Honda CRV and a Ford Ranger. Just another thought. Good luck.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #7

becks,

I don't know. I have downloaded the installation manual and it is talking about disassembly of the front end of the truck then removing some major bolts and electrical wiring that runs through the floor boards... I worry about warrenties, and what if I burn the things (both the MH and Truck) to the ground.... I don't think my insurance would like that. All the friends I know are not that great at mechanical things.... but think they are. I want a professional job done and something to fall back on if it is not right.

JAXFL
Old 09-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I use the Blue Ox and did the base plate installation myself. You take off a lot of stuff but it all goes back easily. A local service station or body shop could do it in a half an hour. I use a brake buddy and you can't get more simple than that. Also being cheap I bought boat trailer lights, sealed leds. I ran the wires from the hole where the left mounting bracket comes through the bumper under the truck (attaching with wire ties along the underneath) coming up on the left corner of the tailgate. I hold the lights in place with velcor glued to the top of the tailgate. I also have a bedliner on the tailgate which I cut to slide velcor strapes around the lights. You have to make up the wiring harnesses but there are only 4 colors....very simple or I couldn't do it! Search the web for prices. I think I bought my base plate and towbar from Freight Express and it was much cheaper than Blue Ox sold it for. Just another thought, I see a lot of the Aluminum tow bars; they cost much more and only have a 5000 lb rating, while the steel ones are good for 10,000 lb and weigh only about 20-30lb more
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the blue ox tow bar and base plate, with the appolo brake. I found some great buys on E-Bay. I saved quite a bit. Local body shop installed my baseplate.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote