Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #1

Opinion on Blue Ox "Alpha" tow bar

An unfortunate incident has rendered our used Alladin hitch dead. We could buy new arms and new lugs for under $600. However the rest of the parts will be older than 2011.

Since we tow an 05 Honda Element that weighs well under the 5K limit for a new Alpha model And its available on Amazon at a great price, it seems a better way to go. Yes it weighs a little more and its steel but the mechanism works the same.

So have you used one and are you happy
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #2

We have a Blue Ox towbar. It is a different model, but has served us well for many years. I also bought a Blue Ox trakbar for our previous mh. Thye have excellent products and service.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #3

Even though my toad is well under 5k , I went for the 10k Aventa ? Just in case I ever wanted a heavier toad. 18,000 miles towing in all weather no issues.
B-in-L had the same , and had to quit RVing for health reasons. I'll be hauling it south complete with pins for the hidden base plate , used for under 4,000 miles. $250 complete. If you're on my route , maybe we can do a deal.

EDIT: Should have checked your state first. Frenchtown MT. is about as far east as I have planned , and that's weather dependent.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #4

We visited BlueOx in Pender, Nebraska several months ago and found out our existing hitch was worn out. It could have been refurbrished for $500 but we felt safer with a new one. They gave me a $150 discount to trade in my old tow bar for a new one.

You might want to give this a try especially if you are close to Pender. BTW they have a very nice campground with full hookups that is free if you are getting a BlueOx product exchanged, installed or repaired.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:34 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Like to pick the wisdom of others. We have used a dolly in years gone past and find ourselves back into a motor-home with the decision tow dolly vs. 4 down (toad will be 02 Grand Cherokee). I found the dolly not very stressfull but DW was very stressed. She wants to go with 4 down and I am leery of all the brake and bits and pieces necessary, then wiring in the GC with their problematic lamp out sensors. As well a neighbour has an as new Blue Ox 10,000lb tow bar and brake system for sale- I'm getting surrounded. Any wisdom to be imparted??
Old 10-03-2014, 06:17 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have used the Blue Ox Alpha tow bar towing my CRV for two years plus. I have had no problems with it, and would buy it again if towing another toad this size. I have towed my CRV appx 15000 miles with it so far.
Tim,,,

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #7

Thanks all. Think we are ordering the Alpha.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, tow