Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Opinion on Blue Ox Patriot Brake Sys

I was wondering if anyone out the has used or is using the Blue Ox Patriot Braking System. And is it bad, just OK, or good?
The Toads

Dean & Judy, Peanut the navigator
Big Country 2015 3010 RE
Dodge Ram 2500 w/ Cummings.
TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use one. I think the built in ones are better but i got the blue ox because I knew I would be using different toads. It works fine and only takes a few minutes to set up. The drawback is that you have this fairly large box you have to store somewhere.

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
I have one and it does the job for me. I can't say if any others are better or worse.
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024
Pulling my 2012 Malibu w/Blue OX & Patriot brake unit
HicksRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #4

Originally Posted by TheToads View Post
I was wondering if anyone out the has used or is using the Blue Ox Patriot Braking System. And is it bad, just OK, or good?
The Toads
I have had one for about a year now and have done about 2-3,000 miles with it. It works fine for me towing a 2011 CR-V. I did install a Toad-Charge because the Patriot tends to run the CR-V battery down if left on for long periods of time. Toad-Charge Towed Vehicle Battery Charger & Maintainer Kit - RV Power Supply

Also, while towing, the CR-V ABS is not functional. If you slam on the motorhome brakes the CR-V brakes can lock and skid the tires. It happened to me once at a traffic signal with a short yellow interval.

I start out with the in-cab Patriot adjustment set at 5 and usually that works well. I have had to adjust it down to 4 or so if the brakes were being applied on the downside of short road humps.

I found that it works best if the adjustable legs on the bottom are set so that the unit sits level and has a good, flat surface on the car seat to push against. I had to experiment with that a bit.

You'll also want the BRK 2012 model as that has the updated firmware that improves the brake operation. Some places are selling the old model (2010 I believe) at a discount. I got mine from Amazon. com for $870 and free shipping.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have one also and are pleased with it. I did have to cut a thin board to put under it to make getting it level easier. I like the size and view ability of the remote. Also when I had questions their support folks either emailed or called right away.
Ben & Miriam
2003 Journey 36DL 330 CAT -2005 Saturn Vue "Serenity Now!"
Kelm130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've put almost 5k miles on mine--towing a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door) behind two different Class A's. I'm generally happy with mine, though it did take some learning in terms of how to position it so that it wouldn't slip out of place.

I have a rubberized floor mat that has to be removed so that the three feet of the BlueOx brake box can hold more securely. The box slipped out of place twice, triggering it to shut down completely and throw an error message to the receiver in the RV. So I knew something went wrong, but in both cases I was so close to my destination that I just finished the drive.

The BlueOx also must be level or the actuator will kick on for even minor slow downs. I don't like it to apply Toad brakes when I take my foot off the accelerator in the DP, just for harder braking situations, but on my last trip the little red light indicating that it was applying force blinked on more than I would have liked. When I checked the box, it wasn't quite level so I attribute the problem to that.

IF YOU PLAN to tow an elec or hybrid car, you should check with others who do that. It can be tricky given how the brake pedals work in those vehicles. My buddy is towing a Ford Fusion with the BlueOx and it took him quite a bit more time and trials to get it to work properly for him. In addition to the brake sensitivity difference, that car has some automatic battery saving settings that kill power to the "hot" 12v DC plug if it senses continued use. Well... that wasn't apparent until it killed the power after 30 minutes (or so) of driving. Again.. now that he knows that, he ran separate power and he's all set. He seems happy with his BlueOx brake box too.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
I have been using mine for three years now, first in a Hyundai Accent, then a Ford Ranger and now we have a new Jeep Wrangler. I agree that a piece of plywood under the unit is ideal for leveling and stabilizing it. It is a good solution especially if you swap vehicles frequently.
Binnie, Wanda & Yasper (Labradoodle)
1999 Winnebago Chieftain 35U F53 Chassis V10
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
I have had one for 1.5 yrs. and 8000 miles of towing. Spent 3 weeks in Wy. last June and it worked just fine in the mountains and flatlands. I have no complaints and the factory is easily available for questions. I believe, for a brake in a box, the Patriot is the best.

ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote

blue ox, brake