Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Opinion on Blue Ox Patriot Brake Sys

I was wondering if anyone out there was using the BF Patriot braking system. If so is it bad, good (OK as in it gets the job done) or great?
Thanks
The Toads
TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #2

Blue Ox perhaps?

Perhaps you mean Blue Ox? I have the Patriot and it seems to do just fine. I can't really say good or great, it just seems to do its job.
It's easy to install, set up, remove and stow when nor in use and gives piece of mind knowing that it's there and working when the remote dash light comes on and the runaway feature is good to have for a worst case scenario.

Steve
Threesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I also use the Blue Ox Patriot. Seems to work just fine. I don't always use it because the RV handles the Towd fine without it.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
If you are not going to install an integrated system like
SMI Stay in Play Duo or SMI Air Force One, or
M&G engineering, then I'd suggest you consider the RVIbrake system. Ease of use and simplicity are very important.
And, at the moment of truth, when the you need every
last foot to save a wreck, you will be very thankful
that you have toad braking, and use it all the time.
IMHO
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadnphyl View Post
If you are not going to install an integrated system like SMI Stay in Play
Duo or SMI Air Force One, or M&G engineering,
then I'd suggest you consider the RVIbrake system. Ease of use
and simplicity are very important.
X2! Some of the "box-in-the-floor" brakes have been known to lock up the brakes while driving. This is one area that you really do get what you pay for.
And like chuckftboy inferred, sometime he doesn't use his because of the effort involved.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadnphyl View Post
If you are not going to install an integrated system like
SMI Stay in Play Duo or SMI Air Force One, or
M&G engineering, then I'd suggest you consider the RVIbrake system. Ease of use and simplicity are very important.
And, at the moment of truth, when the you need every
last foot to save a wreck, you will be very thankful
that you have toad braking, and use it all the time.
IMHO
macadnphyl,

I am considering buying the RVIbrake system in the near future. Do you have one of these? If so, how do you like it? Have you used any other system to compare it with?

Thanks,
Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I've been using the Blue Ox Patriot for 3.5 years and over 35k miles. It has worked very well and since it is electric versus an air compressor system it has little or no drain on the toad battery. I have two toads, so it's perfect for switching between cars.
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While I've only used the Blue Ox brake controller for the past season; it was easy to set-up and worked flawlessly.
I feel I got a good bang for the buck I paid!
Ya get what you paid for????

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
We use the Patriot towing a Mazda3. Once I learned the correct seat position (which took a couple of trips), I've had no problems. I did have a loose cigar lighter in the dash - if the Patriot senses an absence of 12V power in the toad, it will send an error message and will no longer function except in case of the breakaway being activated. Seat position affects the sensitivity of the unit - if not adjusted properly (too loose), the unit doesn't seem to react quite as fast when applying brakes to the Motorhome.

As I mentioned, it took a couple of trips to figure out the setup I want, and since then it has been very trouble free. I particularly like being able to monitor the braking with the remote.

One other thing, if brakes are applied for a long period of time, the unit will time out - this is probably a cautionary measure to keep from burning up your toad brakes - you must then stop and reset it. If going down a long hill, it's best to use engine braking as much as possible and decrease the sensitivity - gradual slowing will not actuate the Patriot if sensitivity is low.
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
macadnphyl,

I am considering buying the RVIbrake system in the near future. Do you have one of these? If so, how do you like it? Have you used any other system to compare it with?

Thanks,
Sammie
I have one and I will be happy to share my experiences with it. I chose it over the blue fox system because of size. The blue fox has an internal battery which I like but the RVI is so small and light in comparison. I have a small compartment under the floor of my enclave and it fits in there nice and perfectly.

The RVI works very well I have had it two years now and am very happy with it. RVI came out with a new upgraded version and only charged 100.00 to change to the new one and with the new one you started a new three year warranty service. I sent my old one in and the new one was back in less than a week

Any product is only as good as the service and I think RVI service is as good as any service you can find. I broke the RF connector for the antenna. I actually broke the end on the unit itself and it had to be sent back to the factory for repair. I did something stupid and broke it. I told the people at RVI that I had done it and what happened. They told me that it was still under warranty and they would fix it. I was told if I had internet they would email me a paid shipping label to ship it back. I was on my computer that afternoon and the label was there. I printed it out shipped my unit back. Less than a week after I shipped it out it was back at my door and I never paid a penny.

I bought a new enclave to tow. at 14,000 miles I had to have a front caliper replaced a new front disc on one side and all new pads. 3000 miles later I had to do the same thing on the back. I was a bit worried that it might be the RVI system. I called and talked to them and pointed out that this was paid for by warranty but after the warranty went off it was pretty expensive repairs. The service representative told me if I had followed all of the directions and there was a problem with the brakes because of their unit they would pick up the tab for new brakes. The service rep asked several questions for information making sure I had followed the instructions what kind of vehicle etc. They called me back later that afternoon and told me the owner actually had a Yukon which is the GMC version of the enclave and he had grabbed up the service rep and some engineers and spent the afternoon with the Yukon trying to see if they could get results from anything that would heat the brakes up. They could not find anything and asked me to call them if I found anything wrong with the enclave. When GM were doing the rear brakes the technician found a memo that in certain instances if the break pedal was not put on correctly and torqued down incorrectly it could cause the problems I was seeing. I have not used my motor home to tow with since we have fixed the brakes but I have my coach about a three hour drive from home. A couple of times we have used my pickup to tow the enclave if my wife and I both needed our vehicles when we go back home to check on things or work. I have checked the brakes several times for heat on these trips and they are nice and cool.

The only thing I would recommend if you get this system is I think it is very difficult to tell what kind of brakes you have. There are different settings for electric versus vacuum activated brakes. Even if you have vacuum brakes some of the newer cars detects the vacuum is low and have a pump that can kick on renew the vacuum on your brakes. The RVI is made with the idea that you have no vacuum boost on the system and if you do have is going to be a big problem. I would recommend calling them if you have a newer car to make sure which type of braking system you should select.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
I also use the Blue Ox Patriot. Seems to work just fine. I don't always use it because the RV handles the Towd fine without it.

My allegro bus is rated to tow 10,000 pounds and I agree that it handles my enclave with no problems. Arkansas as well as most ( not all but most) of the states require a braking system on anything that is being towed. You might not need it to handle the car but if big brother catches you then you will be paying extra for not having it.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
HHg

We've used The Patriot braking system for about 3-1/2 years. It's great !! Easy to set up or pull out.

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #13

I inherited a Patriot when I bought my bus. It seems to work well, once you get it set up good, but I have trouble with it draining its internal battery. It seems to go a day and a half and once wven drained the toad battery. I added a hot lead from the tow plug to my toad battery, so it stays charged, but the patriot battery still goes dead. I replaced the battery as Blue Ox said they only last a couple of years and I didn't know the age of it.

Anybody else have this issue?

Jeff
Spizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizzer View Post
I inherited a Patriot when I bought my bus. It seems to work well, once you get it set up good, but I have trouble with it draining its internal battery. It seems to go a day and a half and once wven drained the toad battery. I added a hot lead from the tow plug to my toad battery, so it stays charged, but the patriot battery still goes dead. I replaced the battery as Blue Ox said they only last a couple of years and I didn't know the age of it.

Anybody else have this issue?

Jeff
Have not had a battery problem yet, however, I turn mine down to level 2 on the sensitivity setting since I really only need it for break-away. I still have the ability to grab the manual lever if I need it for stopping. May have lengthened my battery life.

Where did you buy the replacement battery?
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake