Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:56 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
if you are going offroad the suzuki is to low the arms are stamped not forged and no skid plates. i just came back from colorado and happy i had a jeep cherokee

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #16

I have no intentions of going off-road with the
Samurai. Especially in a 4x2.

Bought it as a fun car and to use as a Toad.

New Port Richey, FL
NR4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:28 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

There's no question that a Cherokee is a superior offroad vehicle, but that was not the question.

And just for the record, my Tracker ZR2 has skid plates...
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #18

I was looking seriously at the 06 Grand Vitara as a toad. I think it provides a great toad vehicle with alot of amenities for the price.

I ended up with a Liberty because I found one with a diesel and it has better off road performance.

A friend told me the other day that the 07 will not be able to be towed.

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #19

No, mine is a 5 speed manual transmission. I just hook up the towbar and chains, put it in neutral and turn the key so the steering unlocks. If you have 4X4 you can go just about anywhere and you'll have a real hard time getting stuck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NR4A:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have an '86 Samurai and I love it. I may upgrade sometime, and if I do it will be another Suzuki with 4X4. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a 93 Samurai we just got. It is a 4x2.

I am curious if you are disconnecting the driveshaft or leaving it intact when you tow it?

It is a FUN little car to run around town in.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-09-2006, 12:37 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A friend told me the other day that the 07 will not be able to be towed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 07 Liberty or the 07 Grand Vitara?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:41 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RON55:
if you are going offroad the suzuki is to low the arms are stamped not forged and no skid plates. i just came back from colorado and happy i had a jeep cherokee </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to many, the Suzuki Samurai is the best off road vehicle ever built.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:28 PM   #22
doc

Appalachian Campers
We have pulled a Geo Tracker (Suzuki in disguise) 4 dr, 4wd all over the country with no problem at all. Put the transfer case in neutral and the shifter in 5th, turn the key to the first notch and go.

Don't do a lot of nasty, muddy off-road stuff, but have faith that the little truck would go where ever I need to go. (unlock front hubs)
Recently retired it and got an Element automatic so my wife can drive it when we are out. She has a disability and can't clutch the straight shift.
We would love to have a new Suzuki 4WD auto transmission.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:28 PM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A friend told me the other day that the 07 will not be able to be towed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 07 Liberty or the 07 Grand Vitara? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry!

The 07 Grand Vitara.
(I do not have any personal knowledge of this nor have I confirmed this information).

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:14 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Consumer Reports magazine says that the re-designed 2007 Suzuki XL7 will be based on the Chevy Equinox (instead of being a stretched Grand Vitara). That's bad news for Rvers, since the Equinox is not towable 4-down.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:13 PM   #25

We are towing an'03 Grand V., we bought it used and have towed to Alaska and back, and several trips to NM and AZ. It is much more comfortable to get in and out of than our '01 Saturn SW2, especially when sightseeing and making frequent viewpoint stops, as in the Grand Canyon, or Canyon de Chelly, or Death Valley. Mileage is about 21 to 24 MPG. The back seat area is not overly spacious when carrying two in the back, which we sometimes do. The XL-7 has more rear seat leg room. We do stop at the 200-225 mile mark, and excersize the transmission, which also makes me get out and stretch my legs, as I'm guilty of white line fever at times. Anyway, love the Suzuki, solid as a rock, reminds me of my 850 and 1150G's.....

Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote