Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:49 PM   #1

Since we are unable to get a Saturn Vue in a tan or brown color to co-ordinate with our motorhome....we might consider a Suzuki Grand Vitara...opinions please....

3778 W24
paulmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2006, 12:49 PM   #2

Since we are unable to get a Saturn Vue in a tan or brown color to co-ordinate with our motorhome....we might consider a Suzuki Grand Vitara...opinions please....

3778 W24
paulmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #3

I tow an XL-7 and it is an awsome toad.Very simple to tow.My year they recomend stating engine and reving for a minute every 200 miles of towing.It doesnt rack up miles either unlike my jeep.The only difference between the two models is I have a third row seat.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #4

I purchased a 1999 Grand Vitara for pulling behind my fiver. I love the car, I drive it every day to work and around home. The car gets about 24 mpg and had a lot of room. I am a big guy and can get in and out with ease. I pulled it about 2k this summer and had no problems. Great Car in my opinion.

David
Old 09-07-2006, 04:26 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2004 Suzuki XL7 and it is super to tow.
Been towing it since early 2004 and have not had a problem with it.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:06 AM   #6

what mileage does it have at time of purchase?
and what price is it?
we are looking too but more toward a newer to new. looking at cobalt and... Ford has nothing for us to pull.
would really like a small suv for the 10k range with low milage, newer....
have a tow dolly with new tires for sale.

R

Class of 2005
Richard n Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:02 AM   #7

We purchased a new XL-7 in 2002 and have towed it for about 45,000 mi. with no problems. We also do a lot of off road sight seeing. The chassis is ladder const., which means it is not as comfortable as most cars but its strength makes it a great off/on road vehicle. We will probably get another when we wear this one out.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:44 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are on our 2nd Suzuki GV (actually its twin - a Chevy Tracker) and have towed them around 50k miles so far. Will likely buy another next year - the new model is very attractive.

We also find the GV to be very comfortable on long trips - surprisingly so for a small car. And they are hard to beat when maneuvering in crowded parking lots.

I would consider a Jeep Liberty as well - another excellent small vehicle that is easy to tow and easy to drive.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:42 PM   #9

Ditto on the XL7 we have an 03 and it's great to tow, no problems. The Vitara is the same except a bit shorter wheel base. Ours has the manual shift lever for the transfer case, the newer models use an electric transfer case shift system.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the 2003 XL7 also. Ours is the 7 passenger model which gives you a second AC outlet in the back. The seats fold down of course, but do give you the option of 3 couples. We have the manual levver for the 4WD transfer case and the automatic. Second Suzi vehicle and we drive it regularly and use as a toad everytime we travel - all over.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:54 PM   #11

I have an '86 Samurai and I love it. I may upgrade sometime, and if I do it will be another Suzuki with 4X4.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:24 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have an '86 Samurai and I love it. I may upgrade sometime, and if I do it will be another Suzuki with 4X4. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a 93 Samurai we just got. It is a 4x2.

I am curious if you are disconnecting the driveshaft or leaving it intact when you tow it?

It is a FUN little car to run around town in.

New Port Richey, FL
NR4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #13

We bought our Grand Vitara in 2002 and it is one of the best toads we have ever had plus great all around car. There is 50,000 miles on it and probably another 30,000 as a toad. Yes, we do start it every 200 miles are so but usually are making a stop anyway. We just changed the orginial battery in Sept. Other than tires and the battery we have the usual oil, etc done on it but that is it. We have had no problems with it at all. We have also put more things in the back with the seat down than we thought possible. Recliners, club chair, 2 outside rockers, all sorts of plants, planters,wing back chairs, rather large antique tables, benches, etc. Everytime we buy something, I'll tell my DH, this isn't going fit and he says oh yeah it will and it does!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
I would look for a clean 1999 or newer Chevy Tracker or Suzuki Sidekick rag top. They are bullet proof, simple, and fun. There are plenty of after market parts for them, and to customize them. They also weight about 2700 lbs. I paid $500 for my 1999 and have spent about another $700 fixing it up, and that includes a new rag top. Good Luck!

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote