Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This site will help you find out if a car is towable or what it will need to make it towable if it can be towed. Be sure to check the car's owners manual for the final decision before towing.

Store : Remco

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #16

Most of the time I rent a car at my destination(places like Vegas or South Padre) if needed. Major cities public transportation is realistic ( places like NYC or DC). Many times my daughter and her family tow their trailer along with us so we use the Tahoe when needed. You may not deem these ideas feasible for your situation, just throwing out some options. I can rent a lot of cars for the price of a toad.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #17

As my sig states I tow a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door). Before that I towed a 2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ (2 door). The Unlimited is my daily driver. It has a 2 1/2" lift with 33" tall tires & tows perfectly.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have been towing Honda Accords, but just bought a 2013 Honda CRV EX-L AWD. It seems to be one of the most highly recommended toads!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bumps gave you good advice, there are a lot of vehicles out there that make good vehicles for everyday use, going to work, getting groceries, etc. Find one that makes you happy for everyday use and that is also towable. When we went looking for a toad we were thinking 4 doors, automatic transmission, easy to into and out of, room in back for cargo, light weight, good mileage, and then is it towable. Once we found some that fit our everyday use parameters, we then narrowed the list down by seeing if it was towable. Motorhome Dinghy Guide is a good place to start with your search.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:34 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Whatever you choose, make sure its towable first. The Honda CRVs are very popular, but the newer ones are no longer towable 4-down (2014 or 2015, I'm sure someone will correct me). Even with a trailer (I have an Eze Tow) you can't tow many Rear Wheel Drives (at least not facing forward) or All Wheel Drive cars. I wish I had the link that is frequently posted that lists all towables for you. I'm sure someone will post it.

Also, you might get more responses in the Toads & MH Towing forum.

If you find a car you like, look in the owner's manual under towing. It will be pretty clear there if it will work for you.
What is your reasoning for the portion of your post that I highlited? In my travels I have seen a wide variety of very interesting vehicles in trailers...

To the OP: The vehicles in my sig are the ones that we flat tow depending on intended usage for a specific trip: there are others, mostly cars, that ride exclusively in one of the trailers as the itinerary dictates.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #21

did you install anything to disconnect the driveshaft (u joints) or just put it in neutral and pull away?
Old 02-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We use our 99 Deville concourse on a KarKaddySS. Tow's wonderfully. Once in 4 years I had to back her out of a bad situation, about 20 feet straight back. Never want to have to do that again. It is Front wheel drive so we leave it in park
Good Luck with what ever you decide. Please post us when you get what ever you get.!!!!
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #23

I am pretty new at RV travel and have a 32' Class C Itasha Impulse. We like to go to "out of the way" type places where we could definitely use a toad. I was recently told by a previous RV owner that you cannot back up when using either flat or dolly towing. I noticed in one of the above posts that someone did confirm this is true for flat towing but does anyone know if it is also true when using a dolly? I have a 2004 RAV4 that I would like to use as a tow vehicle but it has auto transmission so I am assuming it would need to be towed with a dolly. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 02-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #24

Years ago I had a dolly that was solid (that is no swivel to allow the car to turn) and I could back that up just like a trailer. I think the newer dolly's have a swivel that allows the towed car to turn a bit on the dolly so backing that could/would maybe be a problem.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
We just bought a 2015 Chevy Spark to tow behind our 2000 Flair. I love it! I am getting 35 MPG, impressed with the safety rating, it hardly weighs anything and it roomy despite being a subcompact. Plus its got lots of whiz bang gizmos in it that tickle me!!

jfran304, I am curious as to why you have to turn your key? We have our lights hooked up to function without ignition acc. How do you keep from draining your battery?
Old 02-28-2015, 10:19 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=AZGypsie;2446205
jfran304, I am curious as to why you have to turn your key? We have our lights hooked up to function without ignition acc. How do you keep from draining your battery?[/QUOTE]

Our 2013 model we have to turn the key to the first notch (not accessory) to unlock the steering wheel. Maybe they changed it for the 2015 models.

To keep from draining the battery we purchased the Roadmaster Invisibrake. It keeps the battery charged on the toad.

Roadmaster Invisibrake - By Roadmaster | HitchSource.com

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:20 AM   #27

We tow a 2000 Jeep TJ. It extends our reach when we get to an area we want to explore. We can go places in a OllllO that a car couldn't. As for turning the key to the first position, its to unlock the steering. You don't want to drag your vehicle through turns.
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Years ago I had a dolly that was solid (that is no swivel to allow the car to turn) and I could back that up just like a trailer. I think the newer dolly's have a swivel that allows the towed car to turn a bit on the dolly so backing that could/would maybe be a problem.

As long as the Dolly has no swivel to allow the car to turn or if it does it can be locked in place, and the steering wheel can be locked or tied down so the toads wheels aren't able to turn, you can back it up like a trailer. Not as easy as a trailer though as you still have four wheels on the ground. Don't plan on doing it much. Will work to get you out of a jam but for backing into campsites, etc. it's still better to take the toad off somewhere close by.

I've actually thought about adding a hitch receiver at some point to the front of my RV for when I want to maneuver one of my trailers or the dolly/toad into a tight spot and putting a hitch on the back of the toad for pulling the empty dolly once the toad is off it.

Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow