Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #1

Opinions on what you tow

I would appreciate any input concerning opinions on the best car (in your opinion) to tow. Would appreciate both pros and cons of the vehicle anyone is currently towing. Probably will purchase something new and from reading previous posts what was towable then may not be towable now. Leaning toward 4 down but may consider dolly.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought a '14 Ford Focus SE. Mostly for the gas mileage and the ability to tow all four down or on a dolly. We settled on a ACME tow dolly with surge disk brakes since it gives us the ability to tow other vehicles also and don't need any additional wiring or plates.

We are not full time. If we were I would consider adding the plate and wiring and towing it all four down but the dolly is really pretty easy.

Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #3

Be sure you stay within the tow ratings of your RV. Best to not tow more than 80% of that. Part of the reason we moved from a Class C to an A is because, at the time, most C's were limited to 3500 lbs. We tow a 2010 C-RV four down. Great dinghy. Remember, you cannot back up at all when towing 4 down.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a class C Gulf Stream 29 ft. with a E450 diesel and purchased a 2013 Mini CooperS because its small and has great gas mileage. I am thinking about using a ACM EZETOW for pulling it.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:04 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jeep Wrangler TJ here. Easy to tow. Lots of fun when off-roading and trail riding. Rough ride and not much inside room for stuff. Easy to work on and maintain. Last forever.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #6

I tow a 2012 Scion IQ on a KarKaddy SS with my Thor Citation on an E450 Chassis.
My previous motor home was a Class A Diesel. I towed a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with it. I have a new Jeep GC Summit and didn't want to tow it so I went with the Scion.
Advantage towing the Scion is no tow brake is needed. (The KarKaddy has surge brakes) No base plate to add to the car and I can tow other vehicles if I want to. I can even use the KarKaddy to pull a car with my Jeep if needed.
Disadvantage is it is harder for one person to hook up the tow car.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:32 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tow a 2003 Chevy tracker 4x4. Lighter than most 4x4 rigs, tows well 4 down and I don't feel any guilt about driving it on the beach, dusty roads or in the mountains for interesting day trips. Our 2011 Subaru Outback can go all of those places but I like to keep that rig in the best shape and it doesn't leave the pavement.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:52 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought a 2013 Chevrolet Spark with a manual transmission since we only wanted it for towing and we don't do any off roading. There are ads on tv now selling them for $11,900. It only weighs around 2,200 #'s, averages 28 MPG (when I drive it)and it is a 4 door hatchback so you can haul passengers if you need to or you can lay the back seats down for extra carrying capacity. It is the only small car in it's class to pass the IIHSTA.

Vehicle details

To tow you just put it in neutral, release the brake, turn the key to the first notch (not accessory) and go.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #9

I have a 31 foot, 2008 Winnebago Class C on the Ford F450 chassis. I tow a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. Tows like a dream. Don't even know it's back there. First dingy was a 2004 Honda CRV. It was also very easy to tow and a bit more comfortable for every day use.

If you are thinking Honda be aware the new 2015's are NOT four down towable. Something I learned last weekend while looking at possible tow vehicle with a friend.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Choice of a toad is a pretty personal decision. And how you tow it. There are lots of toad options and related discussions on the Forum on this subject. My advice would be to pick one that you are sure that you are comfortable driving -- I propose that you will end up spending more hours behind the wheel of the toad than behind the wheel of the motorhome.

So, other than the "how easy is it to hook up and go" and "how much does it weigh" questions, consider things like:

• Gas mileage?
• Four doors to carry another couple?
• Will it carry your groceries (and bikes and laundry and…)?
• Is it easy to get into and out of?
• Does it have all of the creature comforts that you want?
• 2WD vs 4WD vs AWD
• Brand reliability

Your toad is going to be very important to you. Do your research, but choose what best fits YOUR lifestyle.

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Bumps....excellent reply!

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #12

We are just in the planning stages of going full time, but we bought a 4-door Jeep Wrangler JK to tow behind our future diesel pusher. It's easy to work on, has plenty of room for what we need and we enjoy the capabilities of the vehicle. We used to have an E550 Mercedes, which was my baby, but it just wasn't practical once we go full time. We thought about getting an enclosed trailer for it, but then what do you do with a trailer that size once you're at the campground? In addition we didn't want the extra weight of the trailer.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
What type of engine do you have? I have a 2013 Mini Cooper I will be using on a dolly. I have a 6.0L Diesel on a E450 Chassis, 07 GS 29 Ft GS.

Wiley
Old 02-26-2015, 06:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Z View Post
I would appreciate any input concerning opinions on the best car (in your opinion) to tow. Would appreciate both pros and cons of the vehicle anyone is currently towing. Probably will purchase something new and from reading previous posts what was towable then may not be towable now. Leaning toward 4 down but may consider dolly.
Thanks
Whatever you choose, make sure its towable first. The Honda CRVs are very popular, but the newer ones are no longer towable 4-down (2014 or 2015, I'm sure someone will correct me). Even with a trailer (I have an Eze Tow) you can't tow many Rear Wheel Drives (at least not facing forward) or All Wheel Drive cars. I wish I had the link that is frequently posted that lists all towables for you. I'm sure someone will post it.

Also, you might get more responses in the Toads & MH Towing forum.

If you find a car you like, look in the owner's manual under towing. It will be pretty clear there if it will work for you.

Tags
tow