Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Opinions Please

I recently bought a Jeep Liberty that was equipped with everything to tow 4 down.
It had the Hitch and safety cables and the wiring harness to activate the brake lights and turn signals. This was towed for 20000 plus miles. The previous owner decided to tow without a Aux Brake.

So I was ready to tow 4 down. Not so as there was no auxiliary braking on the Jeep and I would not tow without it.
So not wanting to tow without brakes I purchased a brake buddy. All I have to do is install the breakaway cable.

After reading a recent post about diodes in the brake circuit and turn signals,I got to thinking. Would there be diodes already installed. The installation of this tow package was done professionally and the previous owner is not aware of what was done for any protection.
I am under the impression that I should not have to do anything but hook up and go.

However with the brake buddy it would be applying the brakes. And I assume supplying power to the brake lights.
Because it is pre wired and tested with many miles from the previous owner.
Should I be concerned with anything else?

Feel free to ask questions as I might not have explained properly.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #2

Opinions we got lots of; good opinions are harder to come by.
With that: here is my opinion. Hook up the toad and see if the brake lights and turn signals work in unison with the coach. My guess is that the lights work as they are supposed to unless the previous owner uses magnetic lights.
If they do work then the only thing you need to check is that there is a charge connection from the coach to the toad to keep the toad battery charged.

Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Opinions we got lots of; good opinions are harder to come by.
With that: here is my opinion. Hook up the toad and see if the brake lights and turn signals work in unison with the coach. My guess is that the lights work as they are supposed to unless the previous owner uses magnetic lights.
If they do work then the only thing you need to check is that there is a charge connection from the coach to the toad to keep the toad battery charged.
The lights work from the coach wiring.
Just have not tried the brake buddy yet. Brake Buddy says that the unit will last
a couple of days and they don't say anything about having provisions for charging the battery. I do have constant power to the plug on the coach. So if I had to I could set the Jeep up to charge.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go out to your toad, and have someoneapply the brakes so the toad brake lights are on.
Use a test light and probe all the pins on the connector at your front bumper.

If the light comes on for any pin, uou found the brake connection, AND you do mot have diodes.

Regards,

Dan
Old 03-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Go out to your toad, and have someoneapply the brakes so the toad brake lights are on.
Use a test light and probe all the pins on the connector at your front bumper.

If the light comes on for any pin, uou found the brake connection, AND you do mot have diodes.

Regards,

Dan
Thanks Dan
Seems too simple I must have had a mild stroke and didn't see it.
Now if there are diodes. I'm good to go!
If not I would have to install them to protect he coach right?
Old 03-11-2016, 07:56 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Thanks Dan
Seems too simple I must have had a mild stroke and didn't see it.
Now if there are diodes. I'm good to go!
If not I would have to install them to protect he coach right?
No, it is really to protect thd toad.
on the newer vehicles which use the CAN buss, they are more sensitive to being driven from thd coacgs connection.

If you do install diodes, you need ghem for both brake/turn & tail lights.

Dan
Old 03-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
No, it is really to protect thd toad.
on the newer vehicles which use the CAN buss, they are more sensitive to being driven from thd coacgs connection.

If you do install diodes, you need ghem for both brake/turn & tail lights.

Dan
Dan
If I am to protect the toad then I would have to install the diodes at the lights blocking power from the toad. I am a thinking that there is now a third wire that was installed from the coach. Which would mean that coach power is what I block.
I hope this makes sense. Diodes are not a problem for me. But I want to place them in the right place.
Per Light
1 wire ground
1 wire Power from toad (to be blocked)
1 wire from coach to power lamps while towing.
4 Diodes required.
Make sense?
Old 03-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine has a kit that is used and it has seperate lights for when you tow, they are not even hooked up to the Jeeps lights. The lights install right in the tail lights of the jeep, more than likely thats what you have as it is the easy fix. Have had 3 toads all rigged the same way. Jim
Old 03-12-2016, 11:58 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
When the guy installed the wiring in my pickup ( toad) he said it had a diode with it. He ask me, if you want the diode in it I will install it. However, I prefer to install a toggle switch on the toad you switch when you hitch and unhitched. He said if you can remember to do that, everything will work fine, and you won't be calling me some night from the boonies with trouble because the diode failed.