Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ordered Acme Tow Dolly

We've been looking into tow dollies and or buying a different car that can be towed four down. Decided to keep the Prius because we like it and order a dolly.

Went to Acme site to see about info on hydraulic disc dolly and found out we could order it now and have it delivered when we want it. Since they will be going up in price before we need it we decide to do this.

It's a nice option. We will have it delivered sometime end of April for the season here in MI.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 07:44 AM   #2

I really like mine and just finished readying it for next season. I even figured a way to sneak it into my 12X16 shed to keep it out of the winter weather.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did the same thing last year. Did not need it until earl April. Love our EZ Tow dolly

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:07 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just got my new Acme Hydraulic Brake Tow Dolly two week ago, have not use it yet but will do 5,000 miles in April with it pulling my wife 2012 Prius. I like that it is lite and easy to handle by hand, also easy to park inside garage up again a wall and take very little storage space.
JoeMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:19 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My EZ Tow will be 5 years soon and has been problem free.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:51 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad for all the positive info sharing. We wanted something lighter in weight and the factor you can stow it standing up was a plus.

Seeing the video with it pulling a Prius and having a Prius was another thing that sold us.

I looked at a used dolly here and it was badly rusted, could barely move it it was so heavy, and it was $100 more being sold than my new one cost.

Went with Acme and glad we did. Now I need to retire so we can get away from Michigan in the winters. Looking forward to that, 17 months away.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:56 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
We bought one last February based on all of the positive comments it received on this forum. We are towing a Ford Edge with it and the Edge may be the largest vehicle it can handle even though Acme says it should be okay. There have been minor issues with it in the 6000 miles of traveling this past year. It seems that the size of the Edge tires may be all the straps can handle. They don't fit as well as I would like and where the straps hook to the dolly there is visible wear, undercutting, on the frame and the inside hook is difficult to unhook especially when unloading. The dolly's tires IMHO may not be of the highest quality (Kenda). They crack down to the cord between the treads but do wear well. I purchased a extra tire after 4000 miles and put it and the spare on to complete our summer trip. Both of these new tires were cracked when we returned home (2000 miles). We put another 2000 miles on these tires in November with no failures. The right axle hub seal leaked most of the lubricant out and when I contacted Acme they wanted pictures but didn't respond after I sent them some. I contacted Vault, the maker of the hubs and they sent me 2 replacement kits right away. I only fixed the problem side so I have a spare kit if it leaks again. I have had to tie up the light wiring several times as the ties seem to break easily. Finally, I feel the dolly is a little heavier than I was lead to believe. It's not easy for me to pickup and move around much less lift it up into the storage position. I mounted a hook from the ceiling and hoist it up and down for storage with a come along. All in all it has done well but I'm not sure it is the best dolly on the market. I have nothing else to compare it to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150718_175955.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	117894  
Old 02-01-2016, 05:02 AM   #8

My axles leaked as well. I rebuilt both and also disassembled and rebuilt the calipers and installed new brake pads. (I have a thread on this in this forum) I have not noticed any tire cracking however. When I had mine apart, I did notice a small burr on one side where the inner seal is located, not sure if that was why it leaked on that side but I smoothed it out prior to reassembly. I didn't really have to do the calipers and brakes but figured while apart I might as well go through everything. I also bled the brakes out with a better Castrol DOT 4 fluid that has low moisture absorption properties.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:07 AM   #9

Thanks for all the info on the Acme.I'am currently looking at others
as well.One of my concerns were the tire size.I have had bad experiences
with smaller tires on trailers in the past.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #10

c92Vette

Acme TDC here, We have a new generation strap you may find easier to use. It is adjustable in several ways, the anchor hook is very robust and changeable should it become damaged. Contact our office and speak to Adrian. She can assist you with this. Tell her Richard spoke with you, mention this thread....

A little bit of oil leakage on the front is normal is the spindle cavity is too full, there should never be and leakage on the rear seal. If you see inside seal leakage it is covered under warranty. This is all explained in the manual in detail.

Your photos and all your correspondence was forwarded to Dexter Marine Axle. All parties were Ccd in the correspondence. They are responsible for fulfilling all warranty claims as they provide us with the fully assembled components and have agreed to handle all warranty issues directly. If for any reason your warranty needs are not met simply contact us again and we will intervene with them on your behalf.

All dolly tires wear out very fast. Dollies do not have suspensions. We have customers that routinely get 5k to 20k miles on tires. The tires we use are actually very robust and expensive tires. Very high rubber content, 10 ply Bias ply tires. The only way to achieve the necessary load rating.
We have noticed that the tires age better when pressurized to 75 pounds instead of the factory recommended 90 PSI.

Good Day, Happy and Safe Motoring....
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:48 AM   #11

Without trying to be argumentive, I have about 15,000 miles on my 15" dolly tires. I suspect I can get another 15,000 miles before even worrying about them.

I haven't noticed any more wear on them, then on the rear tires of the car it carries.

The smaller the diameter of a tire the more revolutions it turns per mile.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Is there information on your newer strap available somewhere on your website?

Thanks.
BoA36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi EZE Tow, just got one of your Hydraulic Brake Tow Dolly, in early April we will be leaving Eastern Canada for a 5,000 trip towing a 2012 Prius like your Video. Trip will be mainly Highway and Interstate, are you suggesting that I should lower the Air Pressure on the tire from 90 pd. to 75 pd. ? The Prius weigh in about 3,000 pd. itself, but only 50 to 60% of that weight is on the dolly.
JoeMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMoe View Post
Hi EZE Tow, just got one of your Hydraulic Brake Tow Dolly, in early April we will be leaving Eastern Canada for a 5,000 trip towing a 2012 Prius like your Video. Trip will be mainly Highway and Interstate, are you suggesting that I should lower the Air Pressure on the tire from 90 pd. to 75 pd. ? The Prius weigh in about 3,000 pd. itself, but only 50 to 60% of that weight is on the dolly.

Yes, I lowered mine last year based on a prior discussion on this. I had previously run 90 psi.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly