Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:10 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I would think a jeep would be a easy instal ,,,, my HHR was not easy to install .

Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Mark me down in the Amazon.com column. Always BlueOx, always on Amazon Prime. No $hipping, no sales tax, no problems. \ken

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyoneonit View Post
Actually went into the local RV dealer that will be delivering our Newmar in the next couple of weeks. Asked them if they'd match the prices of any online retailer but was told that they'd only give a 10% discount, but I could buy the parts elsewhere and they'd install them. Almost a $1000 difference in prices. Think I'll find another installer as they quoted me a flat 8 hours at $125 per hour.
Dave after looking at the Roadmaster EZ4 bracket installation guide I think I could goof around and install it in less than 4 hrs by myself and I am in my late 70's this is not a hard install take a look.

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/521448-4.pdf
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Actually went into the local RV dealer that will be delivering our Newmar in the next couple of weeks. Asked them if they'd match the prices of any online retailer but was told that they'd only give a 10% discount, but I could buy the parts elsewhere and they'd install them. Almost a $1000 difference in prices. Think I'll find another installer as they quoted me a flat 8 hours at $125 per hour.

And now you know why they were willing to install the parts you bought somewhere else!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:19 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
I ordered a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar for about $500 and a Demco base plate on Amazon for $325. Great delivery on both and no problems at all. Everything arrived on time and in perfect condition. I also ordered the Jeep Mopar Wiring harness through Amazon. Highly satisfied with service and condition on all.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:39 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Any advice on wiring? I've seen the Blue Ox wiring kit that requires drilling and installing additional lightbulbs. Have also found a MOPAR wiring harness and a Cooltec LLC wiring harness, but have found some posts that state the tow vehicles wiring didn't match up to the wiring harness they installed on the jeep.
tyoneonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:44 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out PPL Motorhomes for equipment. I've ordered plenty from them and have found there pricing very good.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:16 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Any advice on wiring? I've seen the Blue Ox wiring kit that requires drilling and installing additional lightbulbs. Have also found a MOPAR wiring harness and a Cooltec LLC wiring harness, but have found some posts that state the tow vehicles wiring didn't match up to the wiring harness they installed on the jeep.
I bought the Mopar Harness and installed it myself, took about an hour and a half to do, and the folks at Jeep would be hard pressed to deny a warranty claim since it is their harness.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:00 AM   #23

I ordered a harness that plugged inline with existing tail lights. No added bulbs or modifications.
Hardest part was routing cable to the front and that was not that difficult.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:10 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I also installed the Mopar harness for the same reason as above. If it's Mopar, they would be hard pressed to deny a warranty claim. Installation wasn't too difficult and it works like a charm. One thing to make sure of, your seven pin connector out of the rear of the motorhome has to have a constant 12v pin in the upper right position. The Mopar harness requires a constant 12v source to power the isolation relays when plugged in. I had to run a new dedicated 12v power wire on mine. I did change out their connector for a five pin trailer connector that could be mounted under the bumper instead of having the loose wire to contend with, but that is totally optional.

Here is a post I did on the installation with a slightly easier way to get to the upper connector behind the dash rather than reaching up from the floor into a very tight space.
2012 Jeep Mopar Harness Installation Update
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:48 PM   #25
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We just traded our 2008 Saturn Vue towed for a 2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD and decided to get new everything in the towing dept. We ordered the following from Rv Upgrades, a sponsor on this forum. RVupgrades | RV Accessories, Parts and Supplies
1. Ready Brute Elite Towbar/Surge brake combo
2. Blue Ox Base Plate
3. Demco Wiring Harness Kit
4. NSA Break-a-way Kit by NSA(Makers of #1)
5. Blue Ox Coiled Power Cord with both end connecters
6. Cover for #1
7. Ready Brake DF-1000 Single fuse assembly so I don't have to pull the ignition related fuse every time before towing.
Total out the door was $1865.80. Up to 90 days return if not satisfied and FREE Shipping.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:59 AM   #26

Official iRV2 Sponsor

tyoneonit -

The Demco plug-n-play wiring kit is nice and easy to install, no cutting or drilling required. I used it on our 2011 Wrangler and it was the nicest wiring kit I have used so far.

More info --> Demco Towed Witing Kit for Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-16-2015, 12:29 AM   #27
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I always take the part number of the product and just plug it into a search engine. I've found parts on just about every website mentioned when comparing prices. They all have good prices at one time or another.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I ordered my tow bar and brake system from PPL Motor homes. The box for the heavy tow bar had some damage in shipping, but no problems with any of the contents.

I ordered the base plate, safety cables, electricals, etc from eTrailer.com. The only problem was that the safety cables that I wanted were not available, as Roadmaster was having manufacturing problems making them. The people at eTrailer were very helpful, and they emailed me and called me several times to explain the issues, work out acceptable substitutes, and make sure that everything was working out. Super customer service and a very positive experience.

I was afraid that shipping on the heavy items would be expensive, but PPL charged less than $40 shipping for the heavy tow bar and brake system, and eTrailer shipped free.

All in all a positive experience and MUCH LESS expensive than what the dealer quoted. For my first toad, I had no equipment at all and had to start from scratch. The dealer wanted almost $10,000 for all of the parts and installation. I paid $2,300 for parts and did the installation myself over the weekend. It was not quite as convenient as dropping it off at the dealer, but it was well worth the effort to save over $7,500!

For my second (current) toad, I once again got the base plate and electricals at eTrailer, and requested express shipping because I needed to get the toad ready quickly for a trip. They quickly notified me that a couple of the items were back-ordered, and they wanted to know how they should handle things. Fortunately, the backordered items were not critical to the trip, so they split the order, immediately shipping out most of it, and sent the backordered items later at no additional cost. Again, excellent pro-active customer service.

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow