Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
Our 1st Four Down Towable

We are looking at the 2014 Toyota Corolla (manual trans.) as our towable.
What add-on items will be required to make it ready to "Pull"?
Thank you

GoBoy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Etrailer is a good place to start as they have videos of installations of all kinds or another RV tow equipment suppler, you are going to need a tow bar and base plate I would suggest Roadmaster, tow light kit, a toad brake system but stay away from Roadmaster invisibrake sys as they have a problem that Roadmaster the last I heard has not solved, you might also need a charge line that's easy to install there is post on this forum with instructions.

Walt & Will
2000 Dynasty
2013 F150 XLT Crew C 4X4
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Lot's of options on the way to go here.
Want the tow bar on the coach or car?
Brakes...Air from the coach or electronic?
Do some looking and find out what you want to wind up with
to your satisfaction. 2 choices here Roadmaster or Blue Ox.
Both are Good. I have 2 Roadmaster systems. 1 for the car and the other for the truck.
Both have air brake system from the coach.
Good luck and welcome aboard!
07 Meridian 34H 350 Cat
2010 Subaru Forester Tow
Home Port is Kingman,Az
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out ReadyBrute tow bar with integrated brake system. Works well and good value.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Best of luck on your search and decision. I see you have lots of helpers with opinions already. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Have a wonderful day!
Ken (RVM 87)
FT DP Wanna B The journey is the destination!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
Ah, we are in the same boat, although I have already purchased the towvee, but am still trying to decide which base plate, bar and brake system to go with. Like the Dnystrom mentioned, you will want to research what you want before you pick to make sure you are getting a suitable system for the best buck. cheapest is not always the least expensive in the RVing world I am finding out. The three Mfg for the base plate, Demco, Roadmaster and Blue Ox are close in price with Demco being about $50 cheaper than Blue Ox, however if you buy a Demco base plate and then end up finding a good deal on a Blue Ox or Roadmaster tow bar, you will have to buy an adapter plate, which is roughly $100. The Blue Ox ReadyBrake can be used on any brand towbar as can most breaking systems. That said, I do like the Roadmaster Readybrute Elite tow bar that has the built in surge brake system, so if I go that route I would likely just pay the extra and get the Roadmaster Base plate. I am still researching and undecided and am now looking at a wireless brake pedal and box system that I saw at the local RV store today, but for the life of me cannot remember what it was called. I also went to towbarsandbrackets.com and looked at the Roadmaster Sterling Brakemaster package that comes with everything you need for $2100. If money were not an option, I would just take it to camping world and pay them the $4200 they quoted me and be done with it.........

Good luck and please let us know what you end up with and how you like it.
94 Gulfstream Ultra 26 foot class c and soon to be pulling the Blue Max, 2001 Beetle.
Anniewhereug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good choice for your toad. I tow a 5-speed Honda Accord. Don't want any trans. problems. I've installed the Blue Ox base plate and tow bar. Found the wireless Towmate to be the easiest system to use. Just mount it on the trunk of your toad, uses rare earth magnets, and mount the transmitter into your 7 pin outlet on the coach and your good to go. One charge last about 15 hours. I also got the Blue Ox Patriot Brake System. It doesn't use any wire or air lines. It relies on a built in accelerometer with proportional braking. You just put it on the floor, turn it on, adjust and your ready to go. No wires or hoses. Very quick, easy and simple. Here's the link for the tow lights. Most towing services use this type of lighting.

2013 Holiday Rambler Endeavor DFT-tag
Maxxforce 10 RR10R
Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:28 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Annie, the ReadyBrake and ReadyBrute Elite are both NSA products and not Blue Ox or Roadmaster. You wont' find the ReadyBrake or ReadyBrute Elite if you look for them at Blue Ox or Roadmaster.
Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #9
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Annie, the ReadyBrake and ReadyBrute Elite are both NSA products and not Blue Ox or Roadmaster. You wont' find the ReadyBrake or ReadyBrute Elite if you look for them at Blue Ox or Roadmaster.
Easyrider, my bad. I must be getting mightily confused looking at all this stuff. lol

94 Gulfstream Ultra 26 foot class c and soon to be pulling the Blue Max, 2001 Beetle.
Anniewhereug is offline   Reply With Quote