Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to agree with the comments about the Ready Brake. The problem for me was getting the cable installed from the brake pedal to the front of the car. No one in our area wanted to even touch the install. I even called Ready Brake for a referral and the closest dealer to us was about 200 miles away in OH and even he had never installed one on a PT. There just isn't much room under that hood for clearances and having a direct path for the cable. Beside the fact he wanted $600 to install it. Well, in all it has been a lesson learned and I'm just waiting for the call with the $$$$ from my buddies garage. I did ask him yesterday if he had a payment plan.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Well, they say you have to have them so of course we purchased ours. Found a deal on a used unit that was supposedly used just twice but heck looked brand new. Anyway I hooked it up for our trip to FL and all went well on the way down but I did notice that the slave unit only registered my braking maybe twice on the way down. Thinking about it I don't use a heavy foot when I brake and there were no sudden situations or panic stops. Discussed it with a few people and they didn't see anything unusual with the way it acted.
So for the return trip, hooked it up, activated it with slave unit in hand to make sure things were talking to each other and all was good. Started our destination trip home and other then the rain we encountered all was going good. After stopping for our 2nd gas up I was inspecting the toad as I usually do as the moho is filling up. I glanced at the driver side front tire and it appeared that the hubcap was loose on the rim. I bent over to give it a tap but NOPE that's not what's wrong. It was HOT and deformed. I then walked over and looked through the driver window at the auxiliary brake device and sure enough the braking lights were illuminated. I unlocked the door and yup the pedal was still mashed to the floor. "GREAT" I said to myself as I unplugged the system from the power outlet. Anyway I finished gassing and I drove over to the RV section of the lot to take a better look at things. Started the car to check the brakes but the pedal just went to the floor so I knew they were toast. I had the wife drive the moho around the lot as I walked beside the car just to make sure there was nothing hanging up and we continued our trip home without any other incident. Thankfully for that part of the trip it pouring rain or things may have been much worse. I believe water from the rain kept things at a temperature that a fire didn't occur.
I can't figure out in my mind why this would have happened or why the master unit did not talk to the slave unit that there was a problem. Has anyone else ever had a situation like this? I don't know if it's even worth contacting the manufacturer.
My Brake Buddy destroyed the front brakes on a Honda. Cost over $800 to repair. It also flat spotted four tires which had to be replaced. Anyone want a used Brake Buddy I'll sell one to you. Cheap!!

Old 05-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
I have used the M&G Brake on a Liberty and a Tahoe. No electrical involved. I would not use anything else. It is foolproof.
X2 on the M&G system. Proportional air function off the coaches air brakes. Wouldn't use anything else.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well the car is ready but OUCH!!! $1000.45 It was a total rebuild of the brake system. Thank You BRAKE BUDDY! Needless to say it will never see the car again but you may find it on Craigslist.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake