Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Elkhartjim's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Don't mess with Texas
Posts: 3,116
Our first time 4-down tow tomorrow

I recently sold my high mileage Toyota Avalon that I had successfully towed over 30,000 miles using two different Demco Tow Dollies. I never had any problems with the dolly except when I needed to push it by hand into a back-in space. That became an issue. The hook-up was always quick (5 minutes or less) and easy. Of course it took a few minutes longer when I needed to attach the dolly to the mh. Two safety chains, breakaway cable and the electric. Add 2-3 minutes.

I've read for years the 4 down users pontificate on the ease, quickness, etc of towing 4 down and I cannot wait for the experience. We will be leaving after church tomorrow for the M&G facility in Athens, TX to have the toad brakes installed first thing Monday and then we are heading to the Adirondacks for a couple months.

I'll report back on how great (?) this new way of towing is and lets just hope for no panic stops tomorrow.
__________________

__________________
Jim with Judy
2017 Newmar Ventana 4369, 2005 Jeep Wrangler (Rock Crawler), 2016 Jeep Wrangler (Mall Crawler)
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I recently sold my high mileage Toyota Avalon that I had successfully towed over 30,000 miles using two different Demco Tow Dollies. I never had any problems with the dolly except when I needed to push it by hand into a back-in space. That became an issue. The hook-up was always quick (5 minutes or less) and easy. Of course it took a few minutes longer when I needed to attach the dolly to the mh. Two safety chains, breakaway cable and the electric. Add 2-3 minutes.

I've read for years the 4 down users pontificate on the ease, quickness, etc of towing 4 down and I cannot wait for the experience. We will be leaving after church tomorrow for the M&G facility in Athens, TX to have the toad brakes installed first thing Monday and then we are heading to the Adirondacks for a couple months.

I'll report back on how great (?) this new way of towing is and lets just hope for no panic stops tomorrow.
Jim, I think you will love it. I don't know what you're towing, or what towbar you're using, but I have a M&G system for 30k of towing and it is great, takes 30 seconds to hook up. What ever you are using it's easier to hook up and tow flat. Good luck and have a great time in the Adirondacks.
__________________

__________________
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,125
Safe travels Jim and Judy. You had better packed the wheaties cause we're gonna run you ragged up here. You'll also need winter coats as the 60 degree nights will be shocking compared to Tx. temps.
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Elkhartjim's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Don't mess with Texas
Posts: 3,116
Mike, we are towing a 2011 Malibu using the Blue Ox Aladdin series with a Blue Ox base plate, Blue Ox diode light assy.

Cliff, its 101 with a heat index of something like 147 I think. So far I've taken three showers and changed clothes three times and thats just since Monday. I'm getting my longjohns out for 60 degree weather.
__________________
Jim with Judy
2017 Newmar Ventana 4369, 2005 Jeep Wrangler (Rock Crawler), 2016 Jeep Wrangler (Mall Crawler)
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Community Administrator
 
Route 66's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 25,611
It's a piece of cake and the only way to go.

Real MHers tow 4 down.

Plus it looks cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0634a.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	12591  
__________________
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Senior Chief's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere in the woods in Belfair, WA, WA
Posts: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Mike, we are towing a 2011 Malibu using the Blue Ox Aladdin series with a Blue Ox base plate, Blue Ox diode light assy.
We also use the Blue Ox Aladdin bar along with a Blue Ox supplemental braking system.

Its a SWEET system; really, amazingly simple to hook up.
__________________
Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen


Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Elkhartjim's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Don't mess with Texas
Posts: 3,116
First step. Hooked the car up by myself in 4 minutes 38 seconds-first time. The timed started when I opened the Malibu door and stopped when I pulled forward with DW signaling that it latched and checked that the lights operated correctly. .

Maybe I can now be cool like Route 66.
__________________
Jim with Judy
2017 Newmar Ventana 4369, 2005 Jeep Wrangler (Rock Crawler), 2016 Jeep Wrangler (Mall Crawler)
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
It's a piece of cake and the only way to go.

Real MHers tow 4 down.

Plus it looks cool.
Yes we are cool
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 065.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	542.6 KB
ID:	12603  
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Community Administrator
 
Route 66's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 25,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post

Maybe I can now be cool like Route 66.
Unfortunately, I ain't cool no more!

I sold the MH.

p.s. to be really cool, you toad should be color coordinated with your MH. Note mine above.
__________________
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Elkhartjim's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Don't mess with Texas
Posts: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Unfortunately, I ain't cool no more!

I sold the MH.

p.s. to be really cool, you toad should be color coordinated with your MH. Note mine above.
It is color coordinated. I just hate to make my buddy Cliff's look so by posting pictures. I'm so glad to finally be cool...even though the heat index was 110 degrees. Oh, its supposed to be hotter tomorrow so as quick as they (M&G) get the toad brakes installed I'm high tailing it to the Adirondacks.
__________________
Jim with Judy
2017 Newmar Ventana 4369, 2005 Jeep Wrangler (Rock Crawler), 2016 Jeep Wrangler (Mall Crawler)
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #11
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim

It is color coordinated. I just hate to make my buddy Cliff's look so by posting pictures. I'm so glad to finally be cool...even though the heat index was 110 degrees. Oh, its supposed to be hotter tomorrow so as quick as they (M&G) get the toad brakes installed I'm high tailing it to the Adirondacks.
Are you colored blind? What part of my fire engine red HHR do you think is not color coordinated?
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim

It is color coordinated. I just hate to make my buddy Cliff's look so by posting pictures. I'm so glad to finally be cool...even though the heat index was 110 degrees. Oh, its supposed to be hotter tomorrow so as quick as they (M&G) get the toad brakes installed I'm high tailing it to the Adirondacks.
It'll take more than the Adirondacks to make you cool. But since you'll be spending time with me, i'll try to rub some of my cool off on you.
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
radams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 398
FWIW I carry a spare set of of pins and safety cables with me in case some wandering clown decides to be funny and walks off with mine when I stop somewhere. I have padlocks on everything else. Figured it might not be easy to come up with them if I'm out in the middle of nowhere. Learned that from a guy that realized one of his pins was gone when his toad appeared in his side view mirror one day when he was traveling straight down the road. I'm not sure my ticker could handle that much excitement. He was convinced someone had pulled a pin at his last stop. I'm big on redundancy!
__________________
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #14
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by radams
FWIW I carry a spare set of of pins and safety cables with me in case some wandering clown decides to be funny and walks off with mine when I stop somewhere. I have padlocks on everything else. Figured it might not be easy to come up with them if I'm out in the middle of nowhere. Learned that from a guy that realized one of his pins was gone when his toad appeared in his side view mirror one day when he was traveling straight down the road. I'm not sure my ticker could handle that much excitement. He was convinced someone had pulled a pin at his last stop. I'm big on redundancy!
I agree. I carry the pins as spares and put locking pins on when hooked up. I also have a spare cable for the lights. Furthermore I take off the cable for the lights if I don't disconnect over night. I call that wearing suspenders and a belt. Also was a boy scout. Motto " be prepared ".
__________________

__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain Tow Bar restoration rbguinn Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 4 02-03-2011 12:41 AM
Confused about tow dollies mstrbill2u2 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 9 10-12-2010 10:23 AM
Can I "get around to it", and where do I find extra "time"? harborcityscrambler New Member Check-In 5 02-03-2006 02:15 AM
The Superior Alexus Tow Bar DriVer Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 1 12-14-2005 04:38 PM
Premium Blue Ox Tow Bars Offered Free with Purchase of Motorhomes Built On WCC DriVer RV Industry Press 6 11-17-2005 04:15 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.