Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our "new" 2014 Honda CRV EX AWD Toad battery died - why? HELP

2nd day into our 2 mo. RV trip. Brand new to us HONDA, with new Blue OX Baseplate and Hitch set up installed. Also had bypass switch installed so we didnt have to pull the #19 radio fuse.Towed Honda behind our Class A w/o unhitching it for past two days. This is second day. Unhitched it and battery is dead. Called GS ROADSIDE Assist. Got it jump started. Why did this happen with a new fuse bypass in place? Tow guy said the bypass could be bad - it's brand new - ? He Recommended we tow with the Honda with battery disconnected for remainder of our trip. Reconnect battery to drive when toad unhitched from MH until we get back home in 2 mos, and can have the hitch and bypass installer guy check out the bypass and wiring, fuses, etc. Believe we had all Accessories turned off when towing except eCon (for gas saving/economy) - forgot to turn it off.
What caused this? We towed on day 1 for about 6 hrs ma;. 4 hrs today. Should we disconnect battery or remove #19 radio fuse when towing for remainder of this trip?

Thanks - Quick reply with sound advice appreciated.

Jim and Susan
Merlin OR
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
What braking system do you have? If you have one that plugs into the dash, I don't think you can do either of those 2 suggestions. For example, we can't because we use a Brake Buddy & it plugs into the 12v which is powered by the battery & electrified by that fuse.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I added a Toad Charge line to my setup and haven't had a battery issue since. No pulling fuses or disconnecting the battery required.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I added a Toad Charge line to my setup and haven't had a battery issue since. No pulling fuses or disconnecting the battery required.

+1 ^^^
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:53 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
No braking system installed.

Toad line charge installed at same time as tow hitch and bracket, etc.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:16 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Your Honda shouldn't have gone dead if it had a working charge line. When I bought a 2013 CRV to tow, the first thing I did was change out the battery. The CRV comes with a battery sized for a motorcycle. There is a simple battery exchange that can be done that works well. The battery hold down kit for a Honda Odyssey fits a CRV and allows you to install a larger battery in the same place as the stock battery. This solves a lot of issues with the dinky battery.

You'll need to find what was left on, or wrong with your charge line, but I wanted to comment on your towing procedure. Honda states that the towing procedure, which includes starting the car and running for five minutes before towing, is to be done everyday. Soooooo, after the first day of towing, you should have repeated the procedure for the second day of towing.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:09 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I did start the Honda each of the past two days we've been traveling, and let it run for the required 3 minutes as stated in our '14 Honda CRV EX AWD owner's manual. When we recently bought the car, it had 40,000 plus miles on odometer, now 42,000. A lot for a car that's just a bit over 2 yrs old. Perhaps it's time for a new (& perhaps larger) battery. Will be getting ours tested very soon. It's probably the OE issued battery.

So until we can stop and get battery tested, do you recommend disconnecting battery when towing, or instead, pulling #19 radio fuse and perhaps also the #21 Accessories fuse?

Thanks
Old 03-24-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would pull both fuses, just in case!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:02 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our TOAD is a 2012 CRV, with a charge line to the battery from the Motorhome. The one time the battery died, discovered had left the ignition in the ACC position overnight.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:36 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine died too while towing. But I don't think it was fuse #19? I put a by pass switch on the fuse and put in a bigger battery, no problems since and have towed for 8 to 10 hours at a time. check your manual and make sure you are pulling the right fuse. Also make sure you completely turn off your heat/air system. A larger battery will fit in that compartment. I went from 400 cca to 800 cca and everything works fine.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #11

Go to a Honda dealer and purchase the new two piece battery box and buy a new group 24 battery and your problems will go away.
Here is a previous recent thread on this subject. My post #6 will give you part numbers.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/batte...rv-330332.html
Old 03-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Will do that when we get to San Diego where we'll be staying a few days. In the meantime, had the Group 51 battery that came in the Honda tested yesterday and it's fine. The Tow/Toad fuse bypass we just had installed is not working (no red or green light).
Just to be safe, we pulled the #19 ACC fuse yesterday. What a bear that was to locate and then pull.

The "hot" power line from the MH to toad seems to be working fine as the brakes and turn signal lights all work in concert with each other.

So after we purchase a larger battery, can we forego having to pull the fuse?
We will have the bypass switch inspected by our installer when we get back home to see why it doesn't work.

Thanks for the great tips!

Jim and Susan
Merlin OR
Old 03-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2shop View Post
Will do that when we get to San Diego where we'll be staying a few days. In the meantime, had the Group 51 battery that came in the Honda tested yesterday and it's fine. The Tow/Toad fuse bypass we just had installed is not working (no red or green light).
Just to be safe, we pulled the #19 ACC fuse yesterday. What a bear that was to locate and then pull.

The "hot" power line from the MH to toad seems to be working fine as the brakes and turn signal lights all work in concert with each other.

So after we purchase a larger battery, can we forego having to pull the fuse?
We will have the bypass switch inspected by our installer when we get back home to see why it doesn't work.

Thanks for the great tips!

Jim and Susan
Merlin OR
Couple of comments,

I went through the battery/charging system test with Honda on three occasions. Once they even did a "Software Update". Each time everything checked good but the dead battery problem persisted until one day I stopped for gas. It was foggy that day and I had my lights on. In the time it took to fill up, the battery was Stone Dead. That was the final straw. The next day I had a new battery and have not had a problem since in about two plus years.

You say the Hot Line is working because the tail and brake lights are working. The Hot Line or Charge Line as it is referred to is a separate wire in the umbilical cord. Has No Connection to the lights at all.

To test this circuit, you can pull the fuse from the holder on the toad battery end (with the cord plugged into the MH of course) and using your voltmeter or test lite, check for voltage from the MH to this point indicating the connection and fuse at the coach end are good. Now, reinstall the fuse, after you have tested it of course, and you're good to go. You will have current flow from the MH to the toad.

Tags
battery, honda, toad