Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Outboard Motor Hitch Mount (4 Stroke)

Hi All, I'm trying to figure out a good way to transport my Outboard Motor (Suzuki 20 HP 4 Stroke). I tow my Car as well, 4 wheels down with a tow bar. I can fit my Dinghy in the back of my Sonic but the outboard is the issue. I have to drop my towbar for my car about 8" to get it close to level.

Here is what I'm thinking. With this receiver use the bottom for my towbar.

Then I would put this in the top position for the motor.

I could also put a Cargo Carrier in the top position, maybe with a ramp and just roll my motor cart on the ramp and strap it down really good.

What do you guys think, any other ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What's the multi position drop bar rated at for weight? I haven't used a drop bar for quite a while, but if I remember correctly the instructions for my drop bar said it should only be used for hooking up a tow bar and a car and not for trailering? I think that was because of the downward weight a trailer might put on the drop bar. Same reservations may apply to your application. I'd check with the manufacturer and see what they say the bar can be used for. How heavy is your motor? Your cargo carrier and motor cart are just going to add more weight which may be a problem. If the drop bar is rated for it, I think you have a neat solution for bringing the motor along, but I'm just not sure if your bar is rated to handle that weight, especially as it "wobbles" while moving.

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
What's the multi position drop bar rated at for weight? I haven't used a drop bar for quite a while, but if I remember correctly the instructions for my drop bar said it should only be used for hooking up a tow bar and a car and not for trailering? I think that was because of the downward weight a trailer might put on the drop bar. Same reservations may apply to your application. I'd check with the manufacturer and see what they say the bar can be used for. How heavy is your motor? Your cargo carrier and motor cart are just going to add more weight which may be a problem. If the drop bar is rated for it, I think you have a neat solution for bringing the motor along, but I'm just not sure if your bar is rated to handle that weight, especially as it "wobbles" while moving.
My outboard weighs 97 LBs. Which solution do you think is better? I believe the drop bar should be able to handle it, this is from Amazon where I purchased it (Dang, the price dropped $10 from what I paid).

"Comes with two pins for dual applications; bike rack and tow bars, spare tire and a luggage rack, motorcycle carrier and a car dolly. The GH-304 features: Multiple receiver tubes for wide range of applications Drop/raise 7.5" Sand blasted E-coated and finished with a durable silver-vein powder coat. This is a class IV hitch (1,500 lbs. tongue weight 10,000 lbs. towing) and exceeds SAE-J684 weight testing limits."

Amazon.com: GenY 304,Drop Hitch,Dual Receiver,Adjustable 2" Solid Shaft,Dual Receiver Hitch,drop/raise 7.5",with two 5/8"Pins "Hitch Only": Automotive
Old 09-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's a heavy duty rating for the drop bar, I think you'd be ok to do what you're planning with the motor.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Test Run

I have all the stuff so I tried hooking things up to see if it works. The hardest part was loading the motor, I was able to load it by myself but it wasn't easy. The carrier clears the car So I think it should be good.

New Hitch:

Carrier attached with motor loaded (not strapped down):

Car attached showing clearence:

Sharp turn showing car clearence:

View from rear camara:
Old 11-15-2014, 10:22 PM   #6

Maddog,
Structurally, you're going to be just fine. That drop hitch/receiver is rated for your application. Many folks on here and other RV forums use both drop and riser hitches for various applications and not one, to date, has had any issues. Now, you will need to keep a couple of things in mind.

One, that drop hitch, is of course, riding lower to the ground. What that means is, when towing level, on level ground, it's most likely just fine. But, where you really need to get down and dirty and be careful is, in the entrance and exit of fueling stations, drive ways, variances in road intersections (transitions in height as you turn) and things like that. You see, as your rear axle dips by going into a fueling station curb entrance, your drop hitch will go even lower. I'm sure you've seen the multiple scrapes in the pavement, at intersections or, driveways that have big dips in them. I've done a few myself.

Second, while you do show a good picture of the clearance between the carrier and your toad, as you're making a turn, again, where it might make a serious difference is, turning and, entering a fuel station, drive way, and other types of transitions like that. "Angle of departure" and, "Angle of approach" , in terms of how much the horizontal plane changes between the coach and the toad and, making a sharp turn, all at the same time.

I'd hate to see you take out a headlight in a sharp turn, while entering a campsite/campground, turn, fuel station etc. A good test would be for you to hook the entire mechanism up, coach, toad, boat motor and all, then, you and the DW take a cruise to some place locally that might have the transitions in elevation at the same time you're turning. A gas station, a high school parking lot, Home Depot, anything that might represent the maximum extreme angles and departure angles to see just how close your toad and the corners of the carrier actually come. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the suggestions Scott! I was hoping someone with experience would point out the dangers. I was using an 8" drop hitch (new one is 7 1/2"), and the first gas station I exited caused the towbar to bottom out. Now we only go where they are RV friendly like a Flying J, and haven't bottomed out again since.

I think I have enough clearance between the carrier and the car, I'm more worried about the clearance between the towbar and the carrier when turning into a gas station or campground. We leave for a trip in December, I will have to try your suggestion (test drive with DW), before we leave.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog2020 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions Scott! I was hoping someone with experience would point out the dangers. I was using an 8" drop hitch (new one is 7 1/2"), and the first gas station I exited caused the towbar to bottom out. Now we only go where they are RV friendly like a Flying J, and haven't bottomed out again since.

I think I have enough clearance between the carrier and the car, I'm more worried about the clearance between the towbar and the carrier when turning into a gas station or campground. We leave for a trip in December, I will have to try your suggestion (test drive with DW), before we leave.
Maddog2020,
You're most certainly welcome Sir. I've done my share of experimenting in many applications. The last one was, I installed a "Hydralift" motorcycle carrier/lift on the back of our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330 CAT and, was planning on carrying a 900 lb. Honda GL1800 Goldwing on that carrier. I was also going to tow a lifted, '04 Jeep TJ Rubicon behind that. Now, knowing certain things about how the back end of the coach acts when turning, dips AND TURNS, and more, I was able calculate just what kind of clearance I'd have in the corners of the lift table, and, the hood/fenders/headlights of the Jeep.

But, when it was actually put into play, it was closer than I calculated, not much, but definitely closer. So, I did the only thing I could do to assure me of adequate clearance in all possible turning, turning w/dips etc. And that was to add an extension to my receiver in my motor home. It put that Jeep back 10 more inches which, created a great "cushion" of clearance for all possible scenarios.

So, that's why I suggested the "go out and try the setup and observe" thing. That way, if adjustments have to be made, you can do them without being under the gun for a planned trip departure. Good luck.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote