Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Patriot Braking System

So I finally hooked up to the motorhome to test all my installation work and everything worked fine except for patriot braking system.
My wife sat in the toad and said that the system did not activate at all. I did go through the proper set up and it did pump three times. The in side remote showed the number 5.
Am I missing a Step?

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #2

How did you test? Did you drive the MH with your wife sitting in the car and then put on the brakes? How hard did you brake?

Old 04-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
How did you test? Did you drive the MH with your wife sitting in the car and then put on the brakes? How hard did you brake?
Yes, wife was in the towed vehicle.
I tried various degrees of stopping. Even though the system was on and connected with the re mote, nothing happened.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
So I finally hooked up to the motorhome to test all my installation work and everything worked fine except for patriot braking system.
My wife sat in the toad and said that the system did not activate at all. I did go through the proper set up and it did pump three times. The in side remote showed the number 5.
Am I missing a Step?
I have had the Blue Ox Patriot for about 2 years and it works well. Just make sure it is on the brake pedal good and that you have the Patriot aligned straight with the brake pedal. Stop and check it several times a day until you are comfortable with its attachment to the brake pedal is staying put and not wanting to slide off.

You may have thought when testing when you press the brake in the RV the Patriot always applies brakes in the toad at the same time , not how it works. Read on...

One other thing - make sure you have it set so that it does not slightly apply the brake when at rest. A good way to confirm the Patriot is adjusted to not cause the toad brakes to drag is to have toad key on and make sure the toad brake lights are out after you do setup and setup completes.

If you did setup and the remote ended up displaying 5 it passed setup, radio link is good, and you are good to go. It has a de-acceleration sensor inside of the Patriot main unit that senses how much you are slowing down in the RV and will apply brakes in the toad if need be. If you happen to glance at the remote in the RV when braking fairly hard, WHEN MOVING, you will see a light on the remote indicating that the Patriot has decided to apply the toad brake to help. If light braking you likely won't see the Patriot apply any brake to the toad, and no braking light on the remote.

There is a manual brake lever on the remote if you want to confirm it can apply the brake. If you press the brake pedal in the RV when not moving, nothing will happen at the Patriot. Think that's why they put the lever there so there could be a way for people who want to test it to do so, and for demos.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461703442.786055.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	125306
Old 04-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #6

Setup checked out fine. Everything looks good to go. It just appears like its. Not sensing the deceleration.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:56 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Setup checked out fine. Everything looks good to go. It just appears like its. Not sensing the deceleration.
With it's default setting of 5 if you are a normal driver like me and don't brake your RV real hard unless you have to due some unexpected situation that arises you may not see it apply the brakes at all in the toad.

If you want to confirm, brake hard and you'll see the braking light on the remote come on.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:10 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As mentioned above, with the Patriot properly SETUP, the lever on the remote will test the braking mechanism function.

The "TOW BK ACTIVE" light on the remote unit will come on to tell you the system is working properly, (it's sensing deceleration), and applying the brake. Having your wife sit in the toad may very likly be illegal in your area unless you are testing it while on private property.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:27 AM   #9

If having her in there is illegal....I better turn her in. I think I can make her bail within a week or two

We're out in a rural area...so not a problem. Very rare (if ever) to see police/sheriff out here.

In any case, I've been working with Blue Ox trying to figure it out. I totally forgot about the manual lever on the brake.
I'm going to test that without hooking the toad up to the MH.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Ken