Per Hyundai all manual trans can be flat towed
We was getting conflicting information from dealers & their service managers regarding the 2016 manual transmission Accent's (Elantra etc.) ability to be flat towed. We went & drove a 2012 Elantra, it's in the dingy book as flat towable, but there was nothing in the cars manual. I may be new, but I listen to all of you (thank you).
We went in to the whole issue with the salesman and he decided he was going to get us something in writing. His goal was to get us to purchase a new vehicle, as his sales manager and service manager both said all manuals can be flat towed.
Below is the email I received from Hyundai:
This is Hyundai Motor America, providing you with an update to your case. Per your request, we are contacting you via e-mail in regard to recreational towing of our vehicles.
We understand that you are requesting information In regard to recreational towing in order to assist a potential customer, and we are happy to provide you with information. 2-wheel drive Hyundai vehicles equipped with a manual transmission can be towed with all four wheels on the ground, such as behind a recreational vehicle. Please note that the following precautions must be followed before attempting to tow a 2-wheel drive Hyundai vehicle equipped with a manual transmission:
- The transmission oil is at the recommended level
- The transmission is in a correct, working order
- The parking brake is released
- The gearshift is in the "Neutral" position
- The steering wheel is unlocked with the ignition switch in the "ACC" position (for vehicles with push-button start, press the start button once without depressing the brake pedal to set "ACC" position)
- The drive wheel tires must be the same size (front tires on front wheel drive, rear tires on rear wheel drive)
- The drive wheel tire pressures must be equal and inflated to the recommended pressures
- The vehicle must be towed from the front, with all four wheels on the ground
Please ensure that when the ignition is in the "ACC" position, all accessories are off to prevent battery drain. Additionally, when towing has been completed be sure to turn the ignition off and set the parking brake. Do not leave the ignition on with the vehicle unattended.
Please be advised that any 2-wheel drive vehicle equipped with an automatic transmission, any dual-clutch transmission, or any all-wheel drive vehicle (manual or automatic) must not be towed behind a recreational vehicle with all four wheels on the ground as this can cause irreparable damage to the vehicle.
If you have any additional questions or concerns that we can assist with, please reach out to us again. We can be reached by e-mail (ConsumerAffairs@HMAUSA.com) or by calling our toll-free customer service number (800-633-5151).
Hyundai Customer Care Center Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday: 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM Pacific Time
Saturday - Sunday: 6:30 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific Time
Hoping this isn't too long to post and that it is of interest to others