Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #1

Permanent versus Portable Braking Systems

I bought a 2016 Jeep Wrangler a few weeks ago so that we could tow it behind our motor home. Lazy Days can install the required accessories (base plate, tow bar, braking system). I have an option of getting a Blue Ox (Patriot II, I think) portable unit or a SMI Stay and Play Duo permanent unit. The latter costs about $500 more. I'm not so concerned about the extra money but I wanted to know if you RVers have a preference based on experience. I therefore welcome your feedback. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I originally bought a "Brake in a Box" unit thinking I would be changing tow cars. When the brake in a box failed and couldn't be repaired, I replaced it with the SMI Stay-n-Play. Unless you plan on changing tow vehicles, go with the Stay-in-Play. Plug in the lights and you are ready to go.

I have the same tow car 12 years later.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the M&G supp system, similar to the SMI. Main thing I like is not having to put the portable brake in, set up, and take the brake out. Just hook up, unhook the air hose while setting up the tow bar.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 03-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #4

I had a Brake Buddy but after setting it up in pouring rain, sold it and installed the SMI Stay-n-Play. Much nicer to flip a switch than to install and remove the Brake Buddy.
Tiny Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I've been using the same Brake Buddy for 17 years. That's four motor homes, a bunch of Jeeps and two trucks. It was repaired once for about $ 40.00. I see no reason to replace it!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:47 PM   #6

I've had three toads so far, and still just one braking system. RVi.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:38 PM   #7

If you think you might change toads frequently, the portable brake might be a better solution and I would definitely check out RVI. I just bought a 2014 Honda CR-V to tow and went with the SMI Stay n Play. You can’t see anything and just flip a switch to activate. Stay n Play is also a full vacuum assist as it provides its own vacuum for the power brakes. Most all the portable systems use a dead brake pedal which is less effective IMO.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #8

My vote is for the SMI, we have it installed in our Explorer and it works great for us. Just plug in the umbilical from the coach and you are off, nothing to take in and out of the toad or adjust.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschocken View Post
I bought a 2016 Jeep Wrangler a few weeks ago so that we could tow it behind our motor home. Lazy Days can install the required accessories (base plate, tow bar, braking system). I have an option of getting a Blue Ox (Patriot II, I think) portable unit or a SMI Stay and Play Duo permanent unit. The latter costs about $500 more. I'm not so concerned about the extra money but I wanted to know if you RVers have a preference based on experience. I therefore welcome your feedback. Thanks.
Go with the SMI no questions asked.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #10

Okay, the SMI Stay and Play Duo is the way I'm going. However, I noticed that one or two responders mentioned "power brakes". I'm not sure what that means since I don't think my Jeep has power brakes. From years ago, I remember power brakes being very sensitive to touch. I don't think my Wrangler has power brakes nor can I find that term in the specs for my Wrangler. Can someone clarify if you really mean power brakes?
Old 03-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #11

Certainly not a Jeep expert, but I Googled Jeep Wrangler and it has a vacuum brake booster. I thought all cars today had some form of power brakes.

The SMI splices into the vacuum line and provides vacuum to the brakes when the car is not running. Makes the brake system on the toad more responsive and effective. It doesnt keep the the vacuum pressure constantly, just on demand. The SMI also had a two stage brake process. The brake signal from the coach wiring combines with an inertia sensor to determine when to apply proportional braking.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschocken View Post
Okay, the SMI Stay and Play Duo is the way I'm going. However, I noticed that one or two responders mentioned "power brakes". I'm not sure what that means since I don't think my Jeep has power brakes. From years ago, I remember power brakes being very sensitive to touch. I don't think my Wrangler has power brakes nor can I find that term in the specs for my Wrangler. Can someone clarify if you really mean power brakes?
Yes, the Jeep has power brakes, or more accurately vacuum assisted brakes. From what I have read, the SMI will add vacuum assist as needed. I just recently switched to the M&G system which installs between the vacuum booster and the brake cylinder and is totally independent.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use the Blue Ox Patriot II and set not to activate the Jeep brakes unless I have heavy braking, emergency stop or a breakaway condition. I can exit the highway with my 33,000 pound Class A and let the engine retard to slow me down and the brakes to come to a stop without using the Jeep brakes. I like that option since my motorhome is more than capable of stopping the Jeep during normal light braking. I also have two vehicles I tow and we do trade every few years so nice not to have to install a new brake system. The negative is that takes a couple extra minutes to hook up and unhook and store the unit.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My motto with Rving is keeping setup of the toad and coach as simple as possible. I use the installed SMI AF1. All it takes is a connection of a quick connect air hose during toad connection......easy peasy.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems