Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pick Up as TOAD, hauling golf car

Now that I am retired and we plan to travel more (and want to find a warm spot for winter), I am considering my options for taking a toad and our electric golf car along. DW has RA and mobility is a concern, plus we enjoy taking the pups for long rides in the GC.

Weighing all my options, it seems a full size PU is the best. Did a dolly once, don't want to do that again. Most, if not all, of the mid size PU's are not flat towable and questionable if a golf car will fit in the bed. So that leaves a full size Ford or GM. I am partial to Ford trucks since I owned several in the past.

So, looking for anyone who tows a full sized PU hauling a GC in the bed. Issues, concerns, things I need to consider before making a decision.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #2

A neighbor , in our winter park hauls his cart south every year.
3/4 ton GM quad cab, short box , 4x4. The coach breaks the wind enough that the GC canopy isn't bothered. ATV loading ramps & tie downs.
Comes down to the dimensions of the cart vs the P/U box and the weight on the rear axle of the truck.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several GM models that are flat towable as delivered by the dealer and there are several other models (Both GM and other manufactures) that can be flat towed with modification (Google REMCO TOWING)

On the Remco site enter your vehicle info and it will tell you what, if any, mods you need. MOST (Very few exception) Rear wheel drive vehicles can be flat towed with modifications.

Flip Side: Watch your total weight,, Gassers for the most part can not tow 5,000 pounds (Even if that is what the hitch says) I'm only good for 4K myself.... Full size pick up is dang close to 5K in many cases, add the golf car and you are over.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You should have no issues behind your CC. As noted above the roofline of the cart will be below the top of your coach although I've seen some folks modify the roof mounts in order to lower the roof in transit.

Very happy with my GMC 4x4 and the cart fits easily. The hardest part is loading and unloading but the proper ramps help tremendously. Take your time and you'll be fine.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Now that I am retired and we plan to travel more (and want to find a warm spot for winter), I am considering my options for taking a toad and our electric golf car along. DW has RA and mobility is a concern, plus we enjoy taking the pups for long rides in the GC.

Weighing all my options, it seems a full size PU is the best. Did a dolly once, don't want to do that again. Most, if not all, of the mid size PU's are not flat towable and questionable if a golf car will fit in the bed. So that leaves a full size Ford or GM. I am partial to Ford trucks since I owned several in the past.

So, looking for anyone who tows a full sized PU hauling a GC in the bed. Issues, concerns, things I need to consider before making a decision.
Hey SML,
You'll have plenty of power for towing a full sized truck. Heck, we've only got a C-7 330HP in our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD and, it does very nice towing our '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 which, carries a 2008 Honda Goldwing GL 1800 in the bed.

First off, do NOT BELIEVE any written matter (i.e. Dinghy Towing Guides and Remco etc.) when it comes to stated weights of most dinghys. Go out and get it weighed for yourself. That way, you'll know for sure, EXACTLY what it weighs. I did that with ours and the Dinghy Towing guide by Trailer Life and Motorhome magazines stated our '11 GMC weighs 4875. Well, that's just a bit off.

It tips the certified scale at, 5300 with a full tank of fuel. I'm not one of those cheap-os that runs around with half a tank of fuel in the dingy 'cause it gets me .0000001 mpg better on the coach.

So, anyway, there's quite a few loading methods out there for your golf cart. I'm not a fan of ramps but, if they work and, they're not too much of a pain, and appeal to you, then that's an option for you. But, our Goldwing tips the scale right at, 900 lbs. so, the truck hauls it flawlessly.

There's lot's of full timers out there that do exactly what you're thinking about.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I have no concerns about weight. I have a 10,000 pound towing capacity so that is not an issue.

However, I do have another question/concern. If we go this route, we really want a crew cab truck for the extra room (two dogs, other 'stuff' we'd prefer not to put in the truck bed). I'm not going to buy new and all the used F150's or GM 1500's with crew cabs have short beds. I suspect the Club Car once in the bed will not allow me to close the gate. Actually, I suspect the rear tires will sit partially on the tailgate. I'm thinking the GC (electric) will weigh in at 800-900 pounds. Is this a concern?

Years ago I had a short bed F150 and hauled my EZGO to the dealer for service. The rear tires of the EZGO sat on the inner 1/3rd of the tailgate but it was OK for the short trip to the dealer and back.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
http://www.dgmtailgatesupport.com/
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Blue Ox and others make loading ramps/loaders for short beds and long beds.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I have no concerns about weight. I have a 10,000 pound towing capacity so that is not an issue.

However, I do have another question/concern. If we go this route, we really want a crew cab truck for the extra room (two dogs, other 'stuff' we'd prefer not to put in the truck bed). I'm not going to buy new and all the used F150's or GM 1500's with crew cabs have short beds. I suspect the Club Car once in the bed will not allow me to close the gate. Actually, I suspect the rear tires will sit partially on the tailgate. I'm thinking the GC (electric) will weigh in at 800-900 pounds. Is this a concern?

Years ago I had a short bed F150 and hauled my EZGO to the dealer for service. The rear tires of the EZGO sat on the inner 1/3rd of the tailgate but it was OK for the short trip to the dealer and back.
Hey SML,
As I understand it, if I recall, in the GMC brands of trucks in at least the 1500 series, a SINGLE cab can have, a short bed, a 6.5' bed and, a long bed. An EXTENDED CAB, (like ours) can have either a short bed or, a 6.5' bed (like ours). A four door can have only the 5' bed (short). I'm not an expert but, I think that's the way it works.

As for the weight, if you're golf cart is around a thousand pounds, that's very close to what our Gold Wing weighs. Our truck lowers down about 2 to 2.5" when the lift and the Wing is riding in her. No big deal what so ever. The trucks pay load is much higher than the total of both. It handles find with the two in the back. We don't do any NASCAR runs while both are in there so, it's just fine for running around if we don't have the time or the place to unload both while we're traveling and need the truck for something.

But, if a 4-door is what you think you desire, then like stated, I think it only comes with a short, 5 1/2' bed. We don't even carry our tail gate when we're traveling with the bike in the truck. It won't close anyway so, why carry it? Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We don't have a golf cart, but have hauled our Yamaha Beartracker in the bed of the pickup many times. Measure your golf cart then measure the PU beds for fit. I have seen numerous MH with PU as toad hauling golf carts on the road.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #11

We have just recently gone Full-Time. We don't haul a GC, but something similar. We did a ton of research before taking the leap. We pull our GM PU (6.5' box) with ATV loaded on the Diamondback truck cover with a Truckvault below.

It works great. The Cat 400 has plenty of pulling power, even in the Big Horn Mountains. But, if I were doing it again I might go to the 8' PU box or perhaps a Polaris Touring ATV which is a couple inches shorter.
DoubleCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #12

Hey SML we live in Bedford which is real close to you at SML. Several of our camping buddies use crew cab f150s and Dodge ram 1500 crew cabs. Both of them put there golf carts in the back and leave the tailgate down. Works great! If you have any questions please DM me.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping fam View Post
Hey SML we live in Bedford which is real close to you at SML. Several of our camping buddies use crew cab f150s and Dodge ram 1500 crew cabs. Both of them put there golf carts in the back and leave the tailgate down. Works great! If you have any questions please DM me.
Thanks. We are having Forest RV do a custom golf car for us. At this point, DW and I are still not sure we want to get a truck but may consider it at a later time.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #14

I have a 2013 F150 and I do load my golf cart in the bed couple times a year.
I have never used any ramps to drive the gc up into the bed of the the truck since I have a power tailgate on my motor home and I back the f150 to the tailgate to load and unload. F150 works well for me.

Tags
toad