Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2006, 04:57 PM   #1

Using Blue Ox Aventa II for towing during 3rd day of maiden voyage of used '97 Winnebago Brave with my brand new '06 Saturn Vue V6 FWD, accidently towed with Saturn's emergency brake in the up (engaged) position. Drove 2 miles before noticed set-up wasn't pulling easily as before. When got out to check back left tire was smokin'. Called Saturn and head mechanic wasn't too excited and said to just let it cool off before proceeding. Now, I cannot get pins out of Blue Ox Aventa II hook-up to Saturn @ posts. (1) Could this be due to towing with brake up? (2) Has anyone else ever had pins stuck with the Aventa II hook-up? If so, what did you do?
peppermintpj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2006, 04:57 PM   #2

Using Blue Ox Aventa II for towing during 3rd day of maiden voyage of used '97 Winnebago Brave with my brand new '06 Saturn Vue V6 FWD, accidently towed with Saturn's emergency brake in the up (engaged) position. Drove 2 miles before noticed set-up wasn't pulling easily as before. When got out to check back left tire was smokin'. Called Saturn and head mechanic wasn't too excited and said to just let it cool off before proceeding. Now, I cannot get pins out of Blue Ox Aventa II hook-up to Saturn @ posts. (1) Could this be due to towing with brake up? (2) Has anyone else ever had pins stuck with the Aventa II hook-up? If so, what did you do?
Old 03-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
The only time I've ever had trouble removing the pins is when they are under tension. Have someone get in the car and have them pull the car up a couple inches closer towards the motorhome while you are depressing the arm locks. This will cause the telescoping arms to unlock and retract just a bit removing tension from the pins. They should easily slide out afterwards.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you tried with the motorhome and the car level and with no tension on the tow bar? If that doesn't work, you may have slightly bent the pins. You may need to call Blue Ox and ask them for assistance. They are very helpful folks.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:07 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Try releasing the pins while someone has the car running and in drive.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #6

No, I haven't tried any of these. Was at the dr's ofc all day today & getting dark. (If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all!) Tomorrow I will try some of the ideas to lessen the tension. I will let you'all know of my (hopefully) success.

--This RV'ing is much more stressful than I expected, but I am NOT ready to give-in/give-up yet. Esp. after such a big investment & high hopes.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #7

I talked to my RV repair guy and he said I could use a little WD-40 on the pin. Slides in and out easier.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:08 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Roadmaster recommends silicone spray.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:26 AM   #9

Never use WD 40 it attracts dirt use 100% silicone. That is what Blue Ox recommends.
IrishBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #10

To; PeppermintPJ1;

Currently using 3rd Aventa II tow bar.

All tension must be released between motorhome and toad,

You will probably need 2 people to accomplish this, one person at pins to remove when tension is released and to release the lock levers on each arm, when arms are unlocked , usually pins slide out with a good pull, make sure everything is straight,toad behind motorhome.

The 2nd person in drivers seat, engine running,applying the foot brake while putting tranny in drive or reverse while applying the brakes, you only want toad to move enough to loosen pins, 1/16 to 1/8 inch or less, there should be no more movement than that unless your pins or attatching holes are seversly worn

Keep pins clean with steel wool, do not use lubricants as they attract and hold abrasive elements.

Hope the above works for you.

Thanks===== AJBJRVERS