Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:32 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
This is a good one to look at Home | American Car Dolly it swivels, has full size tires, fairly light compared to a Stehland they deliver and show you how to use. You have to order and wait for them to deliver because they sell the heck out of them. They also deliver All over the United States.

Very true and quite user friendly. Electric Brake controller with adjustable gain located on the dolly and not in the cab. Runs off the brake light circuit. Set it once and forget it. Its a stout set up with the pivot table and I believe it can take up to a 6500 lbs. vehicle. I've towed four down and run large boat trailers with surge brakes, run 5vers and TT's. For me this set up is the smoothest and easiest.

Got momma well trained on it and she can load it herself now. But you know that doesn't happen much for some reason???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Before I bought my Jeep Liberty, I was seriously considering getting a dolly to tow my Taurus. I would have gone with this manufacture Landgrebe Mfg. Inc. . Based on my needs and research it appears to be one of the better dollies on the market.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:38 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
Before I bought my Jeep Liberty, I was seriously considering getting a dolly to tow my Taurus. I would have gone with this manufacture Landgrebe Mfg. Inc. . Based on my needs and research it appears to be one of the better dollies on the market.
That's a pretty nice dolly.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Like the pivot/fixed debate, it's all about what you want...

Electric:
Brakes are applied by 12VDC solenoids inside the brakes.
Needs a controller (usually mounted in drivers position) and 12VDC to operate and the power wire between the Towed and Towing vehicle.
Most often drum style brakes.
Must be manually adjusted for load and brake wear.
Operation can be controlled (extra braking to no braking) by driver, at the controller.
A break-away device needs a battery on the dolly.

Surge:
Applied by hydraulic pressure from the tongue mounted master cylendar (just like a car).
No extra pieces or parts used (self contained).
Fully automatic (operation and adjustment from fully loaded to fully unloaded).
Available in disc and drum style brakes.
Requires a lock-out to back-up (EZE-Tow comes with a lock-out key).
A break-away device is often just a pull cable on the master cylendar.

We have used both (electric on our old TT and surge on our boat trailer). Surge is much simpler to use, but slightly more expensive.

Some drivers like to manually engage Electric brakes to "keep the toad straight" on descents(?).

It's really a personal preference thing...both are good and do the job. BTW, there are many dolly's sold with no brakes. Brakes are not required by law on tow dolly's in some places...but obviously safer to have brakes

Safe travels
Thanks Scarab!!!
I think surge brakes are the way to go for me. Now I have to find the dolly that pivots and has those brakes and I am in the game and ready to roll!! So far my number one choice is Demco's Kar Kaddy 3. It seems sturdier than the others, but I haven't seen one in person.
Thanks for all your time and effort in sending your responses, they have been most helpful.
G Man
Old 03-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #19

Quote:
I agree, it seems to have all the features I am looking for!
Is the steering wheel locked in the car? Does it pivot, the website says it is articulated. Whatever that means?
How was delivery and set up? Did it come fully assembled or did you have to do it?
This dolly has jumped to number two on my list, any and all info is greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
G Man
Old 03-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #20

Quote:
I agree its a great looking dolly with lot of excellent features, however the only thing I don't like is that the ramps are not detachable. And it cannot be stored upright.
Thoughts?
G Man
Old 03-31-2015, 12:57 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man View Post
Is the steering wheel locked in the car? Does it pivot, the website says it is articulated. Whatever that means?
How was delivery and set up? Did it come fully assembled or did you have to do it?
This dolly has jumped to number two on my list, any and all info is greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
G Man
This dolly was on the top of my list but I did not purchase it because I purchased a Jeep so I could tow 4 down. The wheels on this dolly caster steer, as in automotive steering, it does not have a swivel pan. I agree with your comment about the ramps. If I would have purchased it my plan was to cut them off make them removable as some other dollies have.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:05 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
I agree its a great looking dolly with lot of excellent features, however the only thing I don't like is that the ramps are not detachable. And it cannot be stored upright.
Thoughts?
G Man
Quote:
Thanks.
G Man
Check this one out Home | American Car Dolly Had detachable ramps, you can get an electric brake controller that stays on the trailer. Dolly is $1395 delivered but does not include the electric brake control it is an additional $120. Still a great deal. I had ordered one but they weren't able to deliver before I needed it and had to buy something else.

2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly