Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Place to get baseplate installed, Mpls/St. Paul area

Has anyone used a good place to have a baseplate installed on a new vehicle in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area? I want someone that knows how to do it, and doesn't want my first born for payment. If you can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
tbomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #2

Camping World in Rogers, MN will install baseplates. If you can find trailer hitch installers who have been around a long time, they often have done many baseplate installations and are cheaper.
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Community Moderator

check your local craigslist, i am sure there will be a lot of people willing to do it for you for about half price of a formal shop's. i did for mine and no pain, a level of difficulty similar to changing brake pads on a car..
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My son and I installed a Blue Ox base plate on my Captiva. While not technically hard to do it is a dirty hard job and will take even professional installers the better part of a work day to get it done. After doing ours I decided it was a pretty good deal charged by Camping World to put it in and if or when I need another vehicle set up with a base plate I will let Camping World do it.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I need to get a baseplate installed on a 2010 Lincoln MKX. I called the Roger's Camping World store and talked to the service dept. I had researched the needed model number and found CW to be $50 higher than prices I found online. My wife insisted I have it installed (not trusting my talents). The plate was $429 and install was 3 hrs. or about $480. He asked "do you want electrical too?" I responded, " guess so" not thinking too much about what that entailed. I jotted down some $ he was giving me and he asked for a credit card number and would call me to make an appointment. A couple days later I noticed my card charged over $1100 to CW. A week later they called to come and get the work done. By then I had researched the electrical stuff and cancelled that portion. I drove 2 1/2 hrs to have the work done last Monday. At check in nor check out did I ever see the work order or any detail of the charges. All I got was a cash register print out of the final price. I called back later to request the details. I was told I was given them. After arguing and 3 phone calls, I finally got it emailed to me. I complained about the policy of charging me first before the work was even started. " WE have done it that way for 17 years" was the only response. The bill showed I was charged $49 shipping for the bracket. I was outraged. I would have never dealt with them had I known I was now $100 over market price. A corporate customer service rep has tried to smooze it over with me, but they have lost me as a customer for ever. Ever bring a car to a dealership for work and not have to sign a dozen places before the work is done ? Ever to Home Depot and have them charge you shipping for the grill they sold you ? I think it is a blatant attempt to conceal their policies. I did promise them I would discuss the issue on all the RV forums, so I have done my part.
rhlvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I also called Camping World in Rogers, was very dissatisfied with their prices as well as their demeanor on the phone. I was going to buy the baseplate and wiring kit and only wanted them to install it. They quoted me $650 for the installation. Not going to happen. I ordered the baseplate and wiring from eTrailer online(no shipping charge), got it and installed it myself. It was really no big deal, pretty easy really, just took some time. I had more problems wiring in the supplementary braking system, AddaBrake system from Roadmaster. All is good now for a grand total of $379.(baseplate) $52.(wiring) and some extra wire and connections ($12)... Sorry you had to go through what you did, I also will never use Camping World for any of my RV needs, they seem to be a pretty good rip-off outfit.
tbomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had CW install a 2,500 watt inverter to replace the OEM 400 watt one. Thought for the couple hundred install that they charged (in 2001) they would do it correctly. Turns out they didn't and I could run the heat pumps off the inverter. I was going to correct the install when we decided to trade the unit in on our present 2002. Have not been back except to buy a few accessories since.
Legally they can't charge your credit card in advance, that's against the CC companies contracts! They can get preauthorization but not actually charge you. I file a written complaint with the CC company if they did it to me.

I don't think the Addabrake system is from RoadMaster either. They list BrakeMaster (which is what we have), Even Brake, Invisibrake and the 9700 on their website.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install