Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #15

Older than what you are looking for but I'm towing a 1995 wrangler - 6 cylinder five speed standard trans. It was more in my price range than the newer models. Yes, it rides rougher than the new models. It does have air conditioning, power steering a great radio but no power windows or power door locks but don't really need those. It has over a 175K miles on it and I expect it to have a lot more before I retire it or up grade. Works for me.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Speaking of after market, there is one thing I would have done differently while getting my 06 ready to tow. Rather than buying a stand alone base plate from the tow bar manufacturer, I would have used the money to buy an after=market front bumper with tow tabs built in--better looking, doesnt interfere with approach angle, and is a better foundation to mount a winch [......in the future??????].

Agree, investing in and towing from an aftermarket bumper is a good thing from various aspects.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Speaking of after market, there is one thing I would have done differently while getting my 06 ready to tow. Rather than buying a stand alone base plate from the tow bar manufacturer, I would have used the money to buy an after=market front bumper with tow tabs built in--better looking, doesnt interfere with approach angle, and is a better foundation to mount a winch [......in the future??????].
I have that type of aftermarket front bumper on my 2000 Wrangle and yes it does look better (and tougher). We leave the rigid tow bar on full time. I've had very few issues (replaced the water pump and had the AC fixed). The manual five speed is great and putting the transfer case in neutral is just a pull on the lever. My tires are six inches taller than stock, so it's been lifted, and re-geared. Yes, they can be money pits but not nearly as much as a motorhome. But no one get into this lifestyle to save money, right?

It's absolutely not my daily driver (I'm retired and don't drive daily!) cos they're a bit noisy and yes they're squirrelly on the freeways. We are into rock hounding and ghost towns so we drive on some pretty bad old roads but haven't ever been stuck or had to turn back!

It has a locking steering wheel but I don't see that as a big deal. I have the type of auxiliary brake that works off the air pressure supplied by the motorhome brake so no battery drain. All in all we're very happy with the Jeep.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:31 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have owned and towed both YJ and TJ. Run with folks that have JK's.

I like the TJ/LJ for combination of price/value, on-road ride and manners, off-road capability, and simplicity.

Of course if the room and four doors of the JKU is a must, then it's the way to go.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's a couple of photos Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446053680.024850.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	110579Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446053807.668422.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	110580
Old 10-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #20

I think I actually paid $40.00 for my tow bar plates.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
LOD Offroad will add the towbar brackets to the bumper free when you order..you just have to tell them if you want roadmaster or blue-ox brackets.

LoD Offroad (made in the USA!)
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #22

Love my 2011 JK Unlimited, but be advised the transfer case shift lever is connected via a cheap plastic bushing. You will be using this lever to shift from neutral for towing to 2H when you reach your destination and want to use the Jeep. If this breaks, you cannot move the Jeep. Recommend spending the $600 or so to have an upgraded cable with steel connections installed. Probably more important than a pretty bumper or other Jeep upgrades many deem necessary.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #23

Thanks everyone! Just got back from buying the 2008 2DR Red Wrangler I thought it drove well and is pretty clean. Since my wife picked it out and decided she wanted it, who was I to argue? Crummy weather here so they're going to detail it tomorrow and we'll pick it up Friday. Now I got to get serious about baseplate vs. new bumper, which tow bar system, brake system, wiring etc. Thanks again for all the input, feel free to add more about the above, I'll probably be posting some specific questions . . .
Old 10-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All I can say is watch that engine oil!!!! We have the 11 JKU and we had to take it in twice. 1st time was burning oil. They did their time consuming oil consumption test which took awhile. Basically we would have to drive 1000 miles take it into the shop they would check the oil and record it. This went on until we accumulated 5000 miles. They found out that we were burning a qt of oil every 1000 miles. They replaced the piston rings and everything was good. Then about 4000 miles after the fix it started smoking at start up. Back to the shop. They tore the engine down and found a new problem and replaced the engine with a brand new one. All is well now. They told me that this is a problem with the 08-12 jeeps
Old 10-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by planojeeper View Post
All I can say is watch that engine oil!!!! We have the 11 JKU and we had to take it in twice. 1st time was burning oil. They did their time consuming oil consumption test which took awhile. Basically we would have to drive 1000 miles take it into the shop they would check the oil and record it. This went on until we accumulated 5000 miles. They found out that we were burning a qt of oil every 1000 miles. They replaced the piston rings and everything was good. Then about 4000 miles after the fix it started smoking at start up. Back to the shop. They tore the engine down and found a new problem and replaced the engine with a brand new one. All is well now. They told me that this is a problem with the 08-12 jeeps
Glad to hear you've got it fixed! I was told by a local car guy that the PCV valve is often a culprit that gets overlooked on this . . . and the first thing to check if going through oil on a 3.8 lt engine.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:31 PM   #26

Smile Liberty

I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty with the 3.7 v-6, auto. It tows really nice. We just got back from Big Bend, TX, the Lib love trails!!
Get ya a good Jeep and enjoy!!

mohamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat