Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:24 PM   #1

Polaris RZR Toad

Neither of our existing vehicles can be flat towed so we are thinking about picking up a Polaris RZR to use as a toad. I realize the Polaris RZR can't be flat towed either so we'll also purchase a trailer for it.

Does anyone have any experience using a Polaris RZR as a toad? Pros and cons of it?

I see Polaris RZRs driving on the roads and freeways here in AZ (with plates of course). Are there cities/states where they aren't street legal? I'd think that as long as it has valid plates and registration it is street legal, no?

Are there any gas milage differences between towing an open trailer vs a fully enclosed one?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #2

I can't imagine a RZR being street legal. Did they changes the tires to DOT legal? Turn signals? Approved head and taillights?

69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:54 PM   #3

I don't make this stuff up, I just report it as I see it! I see at least one a week on the streets and freeways here in PHX. All of them have AZ plates on them.

It does appear that there is a ~$200 kit you have to add to it- Street Legal TS LED Turn Signal Kit Horn Plate Polaris RZR s 4 570 800 900 1000 | eBay
Old 02-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #4

Ought to be a great ride on a snowy/slushy day in the northern half of the country or during a blowing thunderstorm anywhere. By the way, we had one of those slushy days in Cottonwood, AZ a few weeks ago. Not for me, thanks.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #5

I know that in Indiana it varies by county. My county outlawed all 4wheeler and RZR type vehicles from the road, but the next county over it is still legal.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:14 PM   #6

LOL Pigman! I have considered that and then contrasted it with being able to also use the toad to explore off-road. We live in Phoenix to avoid the snow and cold so I don't think we will seek out those conditions very often.

Speaking of which, I've seen several of them on the street in Cottonwood and up in Jerome- we love good wine and visit your neck of the desert often.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #7

So after a bit of research I found that it is legal in Arizona with requirements listed below (quoted exactly from forum, not my spelling). This post didn't mention DOT tires, but I did see it elsewhere. Only legal in very few states from what I read. I wouldn't use one as a Toad just because they're not crash rated and would seriously lose in any kind of accident.

"horn, a rear veiw mirror, lights, a lighted liscence plate bracket and proof of insurance"

Old 02-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #8

August- what happens if you register it in the county that allows them and then drive it to the county that doesn't? I can't imagine that they can do anything about it since it is a legally registered vehicle.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkey View Post
August- what happens if you register it in the county that allows them and then drive it to the county that doesn't? I can't imagine that they can do anything about it since it is a legally registered vehicle.
Same thing they do if you're triple towing and enter a state where it's illegal...park it until you make it legal?
Old 02-25-2016, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
That's a good question. I have never looked into reciprocity. Knowing my local PD, they would ticket you and let you fight in court.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
That's a good question. I have never looked into reciprocity. Knowing my local PD, they would ticket you and let you fight in court.
So I should let my wife drive in those questionable counties and just play dumb if she gets pulled over.

Maybe a lifted Smart car with oversize tires is a better option (kidding). They are about as safe as a Polaris but at least they can be flat towed.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #12

Quote:
So I should let my wife drive in those questionable counties and just play dumb if she gets pulled over.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #13

Quote:
LOL Pigman! I have considered that and then contrasted it with being able to also use the toad to explore off-road. We live in Phoenix to avoid the snow and cold so I don't think we will seek out those conditions very often.

Speaking of which, I've seen several of them on the street in Cottonwood and up in Jerome- we love good wine and visit your neck of the desert often.
Yeah, I too have seen more than one in the Cottonwood/Jerome area, but we went up to Jerome the day it snowed and didn't see a one. LOL

Go for what makes you happy. Regardless what us comfort loving old fogies say. Different strokes for different folks. ENJOY.... That's what it's all about.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #14

We have been thinking of doing the same thing. We want to boondock in AZ and think having a rzr would be more fun then taking a car, will use a enclosed trailer
gbstewart

Tags
toad