Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #1

Possible used Jeep ...

I'm purchasing a 2015 Entegra Anthem. It is our first MH. Im curious to know if there are any particular model years for Jeep Wrangler of Jeep Cherokee that are best for 4 down towing. I'm considering purchasing either or for toad. Our current Kia Soul cannot be towed 4 down. I apologize if this question has been asked.. We would be looking at used. Thank you for any input

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #2

I have used both a 2013 4x4 Wrangler and a 2014 4x4 Grand Cherokee as toads and they both work great....I see you have an Entegra so towing capacity will not be an issue. :-)

I did find the Wrangler a bit easier to get into toad mode but the drive of the Grand Cherokee was soooo much better.
rcarriere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #3

Thank you for the input

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
If you're looking at any 2005-2010 Grand Cherokee's or Commanders, check that the transfer case can go into neutral before buying (different from just the transmission in neutral!).

Both models had a N23 recall that has been causing havoc with the transfer case leaving some RVers stuck thousands of miles away from home with no way to tow.

Chrysler has just updated the recall at the end of July and the transfer case seems to be behaving now, but us Jeep owners are keeping a close watch.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:40 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
The Grand Cherokee is available with several different transmissions, but only one transmission model is towable. Check the owner's manual for details. Rely on the owners manual, not the salesman, as most of them don't know anything about the issue but many will pretend to know and give wrong information.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:50 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDefector View Post
. Im curious to know if there are any particular model years for Jeep Wrangler of Jeep Cherokee that are best for 4 down towing. I'm considering purchasing either or for toad.
I apologize if this question has been asked.. We would be looking at used. Thank you for any input
Sorry to have edited your question.

My wife and I are looking to buy a used or maybe even a New Jeep with an automatic Trans. (DW has had knee problems and can't drive a stick) {and after driving a Semi for a living most of my life I don't want to drive a stick anymore} We have a 2005 Jamboree 26Q. I have seen people towning jeeps and the same Cargo trailer we own with the same RV we have so the weight is no problem.
My question is......The Jeep Wrangler with an automatic, is it tow able 4 Down?
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:05 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to GunnyClark
We have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2 Dr automatic, to tow 4 down you just put the transfer case into neutral and leave the trans in park - you also do not have to put the key in, it tows perfectly 4 down - the new Jeep Cherokee (not the Grand) has a switch on the dash to disengage the trans when towing - I personally like the older cherokees and with those auto or stick is the same transfer case in neutral.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Jeep is without a doubt the most tow friendly vehicle on the road. That's why you see so many of them being towed. They can be put into tow mode in less then 2 minutes. Just make sure that the Jeep you are buying is towable 4 down.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote