Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #1

Power for patriot auxiliary brake controller.

I flat tow a 2016 Ford Edge and use a Patriot auxiliary brake. I installed a battery maintainer wire that runs off a hot wire in my 7 blade connection. However when I plug in the power wire for the braking system to the power point on the Edge it only stays powered for a short while. Maybe 15-20 minutes. Then the digital readout in the RV tells me to check the power. Short of installing another power socket (cigarette lighter socket) is there a solution. I see there are many of you that tow Ford Edge and I hope someone has a solution.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't help with the problem but wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Happy New Year!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Doug100-

Welcome to iRV2!

Are you sure that the charge line is working correctly? I'd test each link to ensure I was seeing 12V from the coach. Start at the coach hitch connector, then the toad end of the umbilical, then the fuse holder in the toad, then the battery connection at the toad. The coach ignition may have to be on to see the +12V at these locations.

Here is a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts with the terms "Ford," "Edge" and "charge line" in them.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:53 PM   #4

I checked the charge line out. No problems there. The retained 12 power lasts 45-90 minutes. Still trying to figure it out. All three power outlets are the same. Probably I will run an always hot wire to an auxiliary outlet to solve this. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #5

Think most of us simply add an outlet at a convenient spot wired directly to the battery. Be sure to use a fuse for protection. Mounted mine far left side under dash so easy to reach when I plug in the brake system.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
Think most of us simply add an outlet at a convenient spot wired directly to the battery. Be sure to use a fuse for protection. Mounted mine far left side under dash so easy to reach when I plug in the brake system.

Thank you!
I did just that with great results.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #7

Having read all the nightmare stories about charge wires that don't charge, dead toad batteries after the tow, yada, yada, I decided to bypass the RV/Toad power altogether.

I'm using the 12v outlet on my portable battery jump/power source to provide power to my RVi3. Works superbly so far - and no dead toad batteries. Added benefit, obviously, is a way to jump a dead battery, should the need arise.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fottip View Post
Having read all the nightmare stories about charge wires that don't charge, dead toad batteries after the tow, yada, yada, I decided to bypass the RV/Toad power altogether.

I'm using the 12v outlet on my portable battery jump/power source to provide power to my RVi3. Works superbly so far - and no dead toad batteries. Added benefit, obviously, is a way to jump a dead battery, should the need arise.
Good idea with the jump-power source, I did what Dennis did, added a 12 v outlet under the dash and ran it to the battery. ( no charge line from the coach). so far so good, no dead toad battery as of yet......so in theory on my toad I have a couple small lights on the patriot and an occasional brake light on the car that comes on. I just don't see that running down my battery.
Robf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf View Post
so far so good, no dead toad battery as of yet......so in theory on my toad I have a couple small lights on the patriot and an occasional brake light on the car that comes on. I just don't see that running down my battery.
You'll probably be OK. I think the "dead battery" issues happened to people with toads that required the key in the "accessory" position to keep the steering unlocked.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:46 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
With the battery ground disconnected, a fused independent power point or a jump box is the only way to power your brake system.

jim
Old 04-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #11

I have left my Patriot II plug into hot outlet in my Jeep up to 3 days without running down the battery. I don't think it will be problem unless you have to leave your key in ACC, my Jeep you remove the key to tow.
Cricket Golf Cart Carried in the Both Jeeps
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #12

You've solved the problem if you already ran a direct hot wire from the battery or use a portable jump start box.
The problem is not in the charge line. It's the car. The manufacturers think the public is too stupid and will deplete the battery so all the newer car power outlets power off a few minutes after you turn off the key.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Good call by "JohnH12".....The systems shutting down after the key is turned off is often a problem, especially when you have something on a charger,
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
You've solved the problem if you already ran a direct hot wire from the battery or use a portable jump start box.
The problem is not in the charge line. It's the car. The manufacturers think the public is too stupid and will deplete the battery so all the newer car power outlets power off a few minutes after you turn off the key.
Not the case in our Jeep JK, the one in the center console says hot all the time. Also the one in our Jeep GC and CRV has hot plug inside the center console.

Cricket Golf Cart Carried in the Both Jeeps
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, power