Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #1

We always turn on the four-way flashers when we are going through our pre-travel coach/toad inspection to check the tail lights on the toad and coach. The assumption was if the lights flashed on the four-ways, turn signal and brake light were good on both vehicles.

Turns out that was not a good test. We had a right rear brake light intermittently not functioning for probably months on the coach and toad. The lights always worked fine on the four-ways, but not the RR brake light.

Freightliner in Tolleson, AZ tried to fix it (they determined there was an open between the steering column and the coach rear); problem still occurred. Winnebago factory service thought it was the brake switch and replaced same - no joy. Winnie took another crack at the problem today and found a bad multi-function switch (turn signals/dimmer/4-ways.)

Lesson learned: operate the turn signals *and* operate the brakes for a lamp test

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #2

We always turn on the four-way flashers when we are going through our pre-travel coach/toad inspection to check the tail lights on the toad and coach. The assumption was if the lights flashed on the four-ways, turn signal and brake light were good on both vehicles.

Turns out that was not a good test. We had a right rear brake light intermittently not functioning for probably months on the coach and toad. The lights always worked fine on the four-ways, but not the RR brake light.

Freightliner in Tolleson, AZ tried to fix it (they determined there was an open between the steering column and the coach rear); problem still occurred. Winnebago factory service thought it was the brake switch and replaced same - no joy. Winnie took another crack at the problem today and found a bad multi-function switch (turn signals/dimmer/4-ways.)

Lesson learned: operate the turn signals *and* operate the brakes for a lamp test

Old 07-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
John;

Thanks for the reminder. I know I have been guilty of cutting corners. I am going to do a better job from here on.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:19 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Good catch John. It seems that you have had a few "oddball" glitches with your rig! Hopefully they are over.......

But then again Im not one that should be talking!

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:24 AM   #5

Yeah - the stoplight was one of two problems driving us crazy due to being intermittent. The other problem was our basement AC not cooling after a day on the road - also intermittent.

Took several tries to fix both, but both are A-OK now

Almost hate to say it (knock on something appropriate) but our rig is now 100% functional

Old 08-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #6

OK John, now you've got me to worrying. I'm by myself and have always used my turn signals as a check for my brake lights since I can't press on the brake pedal and check the rear of the coach and toad at the same time. At night, I can use the rear view camera to check the coach brake lights but that doesn't help on the toad or during the day. Anyone have a suggestion on how a single person can check the brake lights?
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #7

Get married? Sorry - couldn't resist.

How about an adjustable bar that depresses the brake pedal?

Old 08-02-2008, 05:42 AM   #8

I was using the same assumption of the 4 ways to check everything until 2 weeks ago I found the brake light on the car was out. My '02 PT has yellow turn signals but the car is wired so the red brake light is the one that flashes from the MH cable and the park lights from the hazard switch. All I had to do was replace one bulb and I was back in business. I don't know how long that had been that way since my wife drives the car at home. I only get to drive it when the gas tank is empty and that is only once a month.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:53 AM   #9

We've developed the practice of checking all the light functions before we start or resume traveling. It served us well when, although we had not disconnected the Edge the previous night, we found the right rear signal lights of the Alpine and Toad's light-bar did not function. Checking further, I tracked it down to a problem in the Alpine, which, after dis-assembling the lower bulkheads at the driver's position, turned out to be the connector from the steering column to the lighting system. Simply re-seating the connector solved the issue.

Bottom line:
It's good practice to go through a simple check-list before moving out. We do it every time.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone have a suggestion on how a single person can check the brake lights? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I use a dowel that is cut slightly shorter than the distance from my seat to the brake pedal. When I check the brakelights I just hold the dowel and move the power seat forward a little.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for bringing this up. Although we test the brake and turn signals separately, I don't think I've ever tested the emergency flashers. I'll add that to our list.

I also like the suggestion by wilanddij on how to test it by yourself with a dowel. I often look at tasks and try to figure out how I would do it by myself, if I needed to. Hope this and other tips get mentioned in the Singles Forum.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #12

Thanks for the suggestions on the dowel and the adjustable brace. I've got air brakes and I'm not sure the dowel will work because of the angle needed to depress the brake pedal. However, I carry a set of squeeze handle wood clamps that can be configured to spread instead of clamp. Maybe I can come up with something using the clamps.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #13

OK. Based on what everyone is saying, I came up with the following list. This list has got to have too many steps in it. Anyone have a better checklist?

1. Coach headlights on
2. Check coach headlights
3. Check coach and toad running lights
4. Coach left turn signal on
5. Check coach and toad left turn lamps
6. Coach right turn signal on
7. Check coach and toad right turn lamps
8. Coach turn signal off
9. Coach brake on
10. Check coach and toad brake lamps
11. Coach left turn signal on while brake applied
12. Check coach and toad left turn lamps
13. Coach right turn signal on while brake applied
14. Check coach and toad right turn lamps
15. Coach brake off
16. Coach headlights off
17. Coach emergency flashers on
18. Check coach and toad lamps
19. Coach emergency flashers off
20. Check that all coach and toad lamps are off
Old 08-05-2008, 03:09 AM   #14

This may be tough to do with a motorhome. Whenever I am in front of a store with a large window I use it as a mirror to check all my lites.It is surprising how many vehicles have some lites out.Almost every day I see someone with a lite out.If possible i get next to them and tell them.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote